Intrigue

Rays of sunlight poking between the trees' leaves warmed y/n's skin. She felt weightless as the hammock linking the two trees swung gently in the breeze. Y/n placed the book she had borrowed from Tomura down onto her lap. A small smile formed as she watched Tomoru softly coo in his carrier. A butterfly landed just a hair from his grasp, and the infant was reaching out, trying to grab at it. Nobuo sat against the tree, away from the baby's line of sight.

Y/n lifted the book and reread the beginning of the page again. She listened to the birds above her chirp as she found the sentence she had left off at. The hammock swung unnaturally, and something weighed on her body. She lifted the book above her head and looked down at her body.

Tomura was lying face down on her, his arms limply dangled off the hammock's sides. He had his head turned to the side, his cheek against her chest. Y/n's exhales were easy. Breathing in, with Tomura's extra weight on her, was another story.

Y/n read a line from the book. "Have you read this part?" she asked. Tomura shrugged. She could see him staring at Tomoru. Y/n returned her gaze to the book and continued reading.

"Keep going." His voice was coarse, as expected from his first words since waking up. Y/n asked what he meant. "Keep reading."

Butterflies fluttered in her chest. She hid her face behind the book as she beamed. Y/n giggled. "Okay then," she said.

She continued reading from the sentence she had left off at.  The first few pages went by smoothly. She began holding the book in one hand, so the other could lightly play with his messy blue tuft of hair. Tomura quietly nestled into her chest as she read. After the first ten pages, y/n began taking elongated breaks between pages. She found herself quickly becoming short of breath.

The hair y/n was playing with slipped from between her fingers. She lifted the book just enough to see Tomura's fiery-red eyes staring at her in a glare. "What's wrong?" y/n asked.

Tomura answered her question with his own. "Why are you reading so slow?"

"Ah, sorry, I'll speed it up a bit." Y/n smiled at him and returned to the book. She fought with her ever-growing breathlessness as she read. Her steady pace had slowed again.

"Not very fitting pace for a battle scene," Tomura grumbled.

Y/n apologized and continued reading. The burst of energy in her voice wasn't nearly as strong as the other times she read, and she had lost it just as quickly as it came. "So, when are you going to explain yourself?" Tomura asked.

She lifted the book and looked down at Tomura. He wasn't looking at her. He kept his head turned to the side, eyes looking elsewhere. Y/n knew she could lie, and Tomura wouldn't be none the wiser. "I just can't breathe."

"Why didn't you just say that, stupid?" Tomura began to move. Y/n frowned a bit, fearing that he was done cuddling her. The hammock rocked and trembled with his movements.

He sighed as he laid down next to y/n. One arm dangled off the hammock's side, and the other rested across y/n's torso, his hand hanging by her side. Tomura rested his chin against her shoulder, the bridge of his nose against her neck. A warm tingling sensation rippled along her skin with each exhale. Y/n cleared her throat and continued to read.

Y/n took a pause between pages. She tried her best to look at Tomura without moving too much. His breathing was calm, and he had his eyes closed. Y/n carefully rubbed her cheek against his forehead as she set the book down on her lap, sandwiching her finger between the covers to keep her spot. Her gaze moved over to Tomoru.

The baby fumbled with a plastic toy with his hands. He shook it as vigorously as his little arms would allow until it slipped from his grasp, landing onto his lap. Tomoru stopped for a moment, blinking. He picked up the toy and repeated his actions in a cycle. At one point, he had shaken the toy too much and flung it out of his grasp. Tomoru fussed in his carrier, trying to reach for the plastic toy to no avail. Y/n's eyes lit up. She had been working on teaching Nobuo a new trick for an occasion just like this.