PROLOGUE

New Year's Day, 03.30AM

Pennsylvania

"Did you see poor uncle Rick's face when Mrs Mulligan planted that slobbery kiss on his lips," I giggle, giddy from the few glasses of champagne at the annual New Year Eve's party. I'm only going to turn nineteen in a few weeks, but my parents allow me a few drinks here and there at the lavish parties we attend and often also throw. They trust me to be smart and they know I would never get shit-faced in front of them and all the important guests.

"Did we ever," my mom laughs from the front passenger's seat, turning her head back to look at me and my brother. Nate rolls her eyes next to me, a huge grin on his face.

"I bet you he liked it," he jokes, a twinkle in his brown eyes.

Dad chuckles, keeping his eyes on the road. It's dark outside and snow is heavily falling down, making the visibility poor. "Always avoid her after she's got a few drinks in."

"Quite the cougar, Mrs. Mulligan," I smirk. "Isn't she like sixty or something?"

"And married," my mom points out, shaking her head, amused.

"No lady seems to be able to resist uncle Rick's charms, old or married" Nate grins.

"He is handsome," I agree. "Maybe he should find himself a girlfriend so all those other women would leave his poor soul alone."

"I don't think he wants to be left alone," dad laughs at his younger brother. True. Rick is quite the ladies' man, flirtatious and loving the attention.

"Speaking of girlfriends," mom starts, her eyes turning to Nate. "Sophie looked lovely tonight."

"I know," my brother blushes, but I can see he's pleased. Sophie is his girlfriend of three and a half years, as they started dating in the beginning of their senior year in high school.

Nate and I grew up with her, as the Daniels family has always lived only a few blocks down from ours. Since it's only a ten minute drive to the college campus from there, she decided to live home until graduation, just like Nate. It's lucky they both applied to the same school and got in, otherwise they probably would've had to do the whole long-distance thing. I actually just started at the same university, myself, this past fall, also opting to live home instead of a crowded dorm or pay for a sucky apartment building.

"It was great catching up with Hank and Evelyn," dad points out, indicating Sophie's parents. They also have another daughter, Callie, who's only three, so the Daniels haven't been attending all the social events these past few years, their hands full with the kid.

"Why didn't you invite Michael, dear?" my mom asks me. I grimace.

"Because we've only been dating a few months," I roll my eyes. "It's nothing serious." Plus I know for a fact that he wouldn't have liked parading around in a fancy tux, sipping champagne, dancing and making small talk with strangers for the New Years. It isn't really his scene. He and his friends are at a frat party instead, probably playing beer pong and getting thrashed.

"When are we going to meet the lad?" dad asks, raising his eyebrows questioningly.

"I don't know," I shrug, feeling my cheeks go pink. We are only casually dating at this point and I'm not about to make things awkward by bringing him home. We mostly hang out at his apartment complex and coffee shops.