EPILOGUE - Five Years Later

"Baby steps," Landon's cool breath fans my face as he lifts me from the car and sets me on my feet. He's blindfolded me; it's our five year anniversary and he wants to surprise me. I hold on to his arm tightly, afraid of falling on my face.

We're at Barbados again, this time just the two of us. Nate and Sophie had to remain home, considering she's eight months pregnant. With twins. They moved out three years ago, leaving the house to me and Landon. We also finally cleaned out our parents' master bedroom, thinking it was time to let go.

Landon graduated with a PhD in mechanical engineering and applied mechanics a year ago, and has since worked at a huge company doing just that, mechanical engineering. I understand nothing of it, but he loves it.

I, on the other hand, ended my college career with a bachelor's degree in general business administration and management, moving on to work at the investment firm mom and dad started, working closely with Nate, Melissa and Luke.

I've grown over my fear of commitment, and the fear of losing anyone else. I know anything can happen, we could all die tomorrow, but I've learned to not let the fear guide my life.

"I'm not going to let you fall," he whispers in my ear as he guides me forward. "Stop," he says after a while, squatting down next to me. I feel his fingers on the straps of my heels and then he pulls them off.

"What are you doing?" I laugh, giddy from excitement. I have no idea what he's planning; he's managed to keep his lips tightly sealed

"Just trust me," I can hear the grin in his voice. His fingers curl around my forearm again. I step forward and my feet meet sand.

"Are we at a beach?" I ask, but he doesn't answer. We walk for a while, the sand soft underneath my toes. I can hear waves crashing against a shore now. We're definitely on a beach.

"Just a few more steps," he says, then pulls me to a stop. I curl my fingers and bite my lower lip in anticipation, waiting for him to take the blindfold off.

"You're killing me," his nose touches mine, his lips inches away from mine. I release my lip, grinning wide. His fingers go to the back of my head and he unties the black fold.

I blink, taking in the sight in front of me. We're at the same beach where he took me after our first date five years ago. A huge blanket has been laid on the sand and a picnic basket sits next to it. Candles surround the blanket, the flames dancing in the dark. It's breathtakingly beautiful.

My eyes flicker to Landon, who's watching me with the biggest smile on his face. Then he drops down on one knee.

My hands fly to my mouth as he takes a small black box out of the pocket of his shorts. He opens it and reveals a beautiful platinum diamond ring.

"Avery," he starts, his voice full of emotion. "You're the fist person I want to see in the morning, and the last I want to look at before closing my eyes at night. You're the one I want to share my triumphs and losses with, and I guarantee there will be many. I want to be your rock, your calm in the storm. You're the love of my life, and I can't even image spending it with anyone else. I love you so much there's not even words for it," he stops to take a breath, and I can feel something wet fall down my cheek. "So, Avery Alderidge, will you make me the happiest man on Earth by marrying me?"

I smile, my heart filling up with so much love I can hardly breathe, and nod. "A thousand times yes," I laugh, throwing myself at him. He catches me by the waist and holds me tight. "I love you," I find his lips and kiss him.

He rests his forehead against mine and smiles. "Wanna try it on?"

I nod excitedly and he laughs, slipping the ring on my ring finger. It fits perfectly. "I love it," I gaze at the way it gleams in the candlelight. "It's beautiful."

"Yeah," he looks at me, reminding me of our first date. "It is."

I let him lead me to the blanket, careful to not knock over the candles. He pulls me down with him and reaches into the basket, pulling out a bottle of champagne and two flute glasses and a box of strawberries and brownies.

"You're absolutely perfect, did you know that?" I grin , eyeing the food.

"I do, actually," he jokes, feeding me a juicy strawberry. I hold the glasses as he pours the champagne.

"To us," he raises his glass.

I clink it with mine. "To us."

"