Chapter 22 - Confessions

In an instant Landon pushes me back and dodges the fist that flies toward his head. I stumble but manage to keep standing. My hands are shaking but I get the zipper of my handbag open and dig in, my fingers closing around something shaped like a cylinder.

Landon socks the attacking guy in the eye, and soon the others come to their friend's defense. Landon is seeping with anger, his muscles bulging as he readies himself for a fight. He might be a great fighter but there's just too many of them.

I quickly run forward, stepping past him before he can stop me, and spray the guys in the face with pepper spray. They scream and start coughing, their eyes closing and tearing up.

"Come on!" I drop the empty can and run to my car. Landon follows me, recovering quickly. I turn on the engine and floor it, leaving the parking lot far behind.

My pulse only slows down when I know they won't be coming after us, and I turn to look at Landon. He's watching me with pure surprise on his face.

"Since when have you carried pepper spray?"

I give him a 'duh' look. "Since I started going out by myself. Mom made sure I had one and knew how to use it. She also made me take a basic self-defense class."

"Huh," he looks a little taken aback. I guess being a guy, he's never had to worry about creeps getting handsy.

"I also carry a Swiss Army knife," I say casually, and his eyes bulge at that.

"What?" he sputters.

I keep my eyes on the road. "Well, the spray doesn't work on everyone, and I'd rather stab someone than get raped. Not that I've ever had to use it, thankfully."

He nods, thinking it over. "I'm actually glad you can defend yourself," he admits. "It makes me feel a little better about you going out by yourself."

I grin, "Me too."

"You sprayed those idiots like a pro."

"Well, it wasn't my first time."

I can feel his eyes fixing on my face. "You've been in that situation before?"

"Well," I frown, "not exactly like that. But Stella and I were walking down a street at night a few years ago," I start, then see his expression and hurry on. "We were coming from this nightclub. Anyway, these two guys approached us and tried to cop a feel and well, I just acted on instinct."

Landon shakes his head, his eyes angry. "I hate that you had to go through that. And again tonight."

"Yeah, well, what can you do?" I turn into our street and open the garage door with a controller, watching as the door rolls up slowly.

Landon reaches out and pulls my hand to his lips. Shivers run down my spine.

"I'm okay," I tell him, knowing where his mind has wandered.

"I know," he smiles faintly and lets my hand drop.

I park in the garage and we head inside the house, finding Nate and Sophie watching a Supernatural marathon. We flop down on another couch and Landon pulls me against his side as he tells the others what happened tonight.