Chapter 14 - The Bet

A week later I'm in desperate need again and tiptoe my way across the second floor. I know he's not asleep yet, judging from the light pouring under the door. I knock lightly and wait.

"Come in!" Landon calls and I slip in quickly, making sure the door locks behind me. Landon is sitting on his bed reading some boring-looking book about car mechanics. He raises his head from the book and takes in my clothes; tiny high-waisted shorts and a nude bandeau.

"What's up?" he puts down the book.

I bite my bottom lip and make my way to him, slowly, and sit on his lap astride. I put my hands around his neck and press my lips against his. His hands go around my waist and his lips move against mine, gently and leisurely. I push him backwards on the bed and lean over him, kissing and nibbling his neck. He lets out a throaty sound, his hold on my waist tightening. He then flips us over, his body pressing down on me. He kisses my jawline.

"Go out with me," he breathes out, holding my eyes. My heart plummets.

"What?" I gasp. Please don't ruin this, I beg him silently.

"Go out on a date with me, Avery," he says, his thumb stroking my cheek. I push him off me and roll over to the floor. I get up and back away from him as he sits up on the bed, looking at me expectantly.

"Why can't we just do what we've been doing?" I ask desperately. "Just have sex without the complications of a relationship. We're good at sex, not at dating, so let's just be good at this," I beg.

He gets up and comes to stand in front of me. "I want more."

"Why?" I ask, feeling like a deer in headlights.

"Because I like you," he says as it's obvious.

"But we fight all the time. You find me annoying as hell."

"I used to," he admits, taking my hand gently as if afraid I'm going to bolt. He's not far off. "But now I find you mesmerizing."

"And what happens when we start dating and we'll crash and burn? Because it will happen," I say hardly, making him flinch. "What happens then? We live together, you're my brother's best friend, for goodness' sake! We can't get away from each other when things go bad. And they will."

"You're such a pessimist," he sighs, obviously frustrated. "We could work."

I'm about to open my mouth to protest but he cuts me off.

"I would never hurt you," he promises, confirmation glinting in his eyes. I feel something get stuck in my throat and try to swallow it down. I have to look away.

"And what happens when something better comes along, huh?" I challenge him. "When some hot chick comes to hit on you at some bar? Did you forget I know you? You don't do relationships." He's never had a meaningful relationship, only one night stands. A lot of them.

"I've changed," he claims. "I want you. You alone."

"But I don't want you," I close my eyes, not wanting to see the hurt in his eyes.

"That's a lie."

I open my eyes. He looks so confident. "I'm not ready to date," I try. "I just want sex."