Chapter 27 - The End Of Summer

The rest of the summer goes by in a blur. Miranda is doing a little better, but she still has a long road ahead of her. I think it'll get easier when Brett's trial is over with and she never has to think or see him again. I know I'll never feel safe again before he's locked away.

He's charged with a misdemeanor domestic abuse charge and a second degree attempted murder. He won't be spending the rest of his life in jail, but hopefully he suffers and learns his lesson.

Miranda and her family are moving far away after the trial, wanting a fresh start. I'm sad about my best friend leaving, but I know it's what's good for her. I know firsthand how hard it can be to constantly see reminders of your trauma.

Landon's had to work during the vacation, but since we don't have school taking a big chunk of our days, we've been able to spend a lot of time together.

I've also hanged out with all my friends a lot, even Nick. He kind of learned about me and Landon when Stella once accidentally spilled it at the beginning of summer. I don't mind, though, knowing he had to hear it sometime. Thankfully he didn't say anything. I know he was a bit jealous of Landon when we were together, even if at the time there was absolutely nothing going on.

We've been dating for five months, now, and aside from the occasional bickering, we're doing good. I'm surprised how good, actually. I would've never thought we could actually work. Long behind are the days when we used to find whatever the other did annoying, even if it was just breathing.

Landon hasn't pressured me about the "L" word, which I'm grateful for. He says the three words to me often, though, just casually slipping them into conversation, like they aren't a big deal. I secretly kind of like it.

It's the last week before school starts again, and we're all, my friends and Nate's both, enjoying it at our backyard by the pool, grilling, chilling, and swimming.

Mike and Stella are still all over each other, not holding back on the PDA. They've been exclusive since June, and are loving every minute of it.

Even Nick has found himself a new girlfriend, a nice girl called Emily. I welcome her to the group with open arms, glad he's found someone who can reciprocate his feelings.

Riley, Liam, Gabriel, and Jonah are as before; carefree and living uncomplicated lives. I kind of want to ask them how to do that. They were heartbroken when they heard about Miranda and Brett, but we've all had some time to come to terms with it.

Sophie also moved in a week ago, and she and Nate are as lovey-dovey as ever. It kind of makes me sick seeing how mushy they are. But nevertheless, my heart bursts with joy every time I watch them laughing together, their heads held close. They're perfect for each other. Nate revealed to me he's getting ready to pop the question. I'm going to go look for a ring with him tomorrow.

"What are you thinking about?" Landon sits down next to me on the pool's edge, dipping his feet in the water.

"Just how everything's kind of worked out," I look up at him and am instantly lost in the warmth of his eyes.

He grins, putting an arm over my shoulders. "It has, hasn't it?" His eyes follow mine to Nate and Sophie. We look at them for a while, both in our own thoughts.

"You hungry?"

"A little," I admit. "Please say you left me some pizza?"

"Even better," he grins and pulls me up with him. He leads me to the kitchen and conjures a plate of delicious looking brownies from somewhere.

I eye them hungrily. "Where did you find those? I though we were all out." I hadn't gotten even a crumb of the last batch. I'd whined about it rather extensively, too, like the brat I am.

He flashes me that breathtaking smile of his. "I made them this morning just for you."

I look at him, my heart filling up like a balloon. I take the plate from him and set it down on the table before moving to stand before him.

"I love you," I say, meaning it with every fiber of my body. I'm still scared to the bone of losing him, but he's cracked my chest open. I can't not love him even if I tried. And since none of us know how much time we have, why try?

His face breaks into the biggest smile ever and he pulls me into him. "I love you, too."

---

I look at Landon. He looks so young and carefree while sleeping. He opens an eye, catching me staring.

"How long have you been staring at me like a little creep?" he chuckles and my cheeks redden.

"I wasn't!" I lie, which he doesn't buy. I have a feeling he might not have been asleep at all.

"You're such a liar," he shakes his head and pulls me down against his side.

"I love you," I can't help but say. Ever since I said it the first time yesterday, I'm having a hard time not constantly repeating it.

"I know," he grins, self-satisfied. "I do quite like you saying it."

"I love you," I kiss the line of his jaw. "I love you," I press my lips against his cheek. "I love you," I murmur against the corner of his lips. His arms tighten around me and he traps my mouth in a kiss.

He rolls over so that he's laying on top of me, keeping his weight on his arms. He kisses down my jaw, my neck, my breasts. My skin is burning where he touches, his kisses taking me to another dimension.

"I love you," I whisper again and he groans, his mouth moving down, down... I gasp as his tongue finds my sweet spot. I can't help but arch my back and moan.

He crawls back on top of me and buries his lips in my neck as he thrusts into me. I cry out from the pleasure, moving my hips to meet his. It's slow and lingering, driven less by need and more by love. I close my eyes and lose myself in his touch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember to vote/comment so I know what you think! :)