Chapter 10 - O Holy Night

I manage to avoid Landon the next two days, and before I know it, it's Christmas Eve. I can't help but smile when I wake up, all the good memories flooding me the second I open my eyes. I won't let anything ruin tonight, not even Landon.

I jump right out of bed and head for my closet. I pick out a comfy red sweater and black leggins, stuffing my feet in fuzzy reindeer socks.

I'm the first one downstairs, so I decide to make mom's famous blueberry waffles from scratch. Pretty much the only thing I can make, really. Mom's amazing baking skills didn't transfer to me, unfortunately.

I'm just setting the table to the rhythm of "Jingle Bell Rock" when the boys walk in, Nate scrubbing at his eyes.

"Morning," I greet, putting the plate full of pancakes in the middle of the kitchen table. "Dig in."

The guys exchange a confused look but sit down.

"These are actually good" Landon says his mouth full, his brows raised.

"No need to sound so surprised," I swat at him with the spatula and dump the bowl and frying pan in the skin. I'll wash them later.

"After having tasted one too many of your previous cookings, I have to agree with my buddy here," my brother grins.

"Yeah yeah," I stuck my tongue out and sit down next to him. Hmm, these really are good, I think as I chew. "Speaking of which, I hope you remembered to fetch the apple pie and roast beef yesterday or we'll be eating cereals for dinner." Nate isn't much of a cook, either.

"The pie, yes," he answers between bites. "The roast, no. Landon said he's gonna make it."

I gape at the person in question. "You can cook?"

"Pretty well, actually."

"Huh."

"No need to sound so surprised," he throws my words back at me. I grimace.

"Well, I'm going to go wrap the rest of the presents," I get up and put my plate in the dishwasher. I've already given my friends their gifts, considering I'm not going to see any of them until after the holidays. I only have Landon and my family's to wrap.

When I get back down, the guys have only just finished breakfast and are cleaning up.

"You don't have to do that," I point out to my brother doing the dishes. "It's my mess, I'll take care of it."

"The cook doesn't do the dishes" Nate recites what dad always used to say.

"Fair enough," I grin, not going to argue with that. "So, what are we going to do today? Sophie's coming at six, right?"

He nods. "I was thinking we could go ice skating?" There is a lake less than a mile from our house where we have gone ice skating since we could stand.

"Sure," I consent. "Any idea where our skates are?"

"Should be in the outdoor storage."

I nod and am almost out the door when he shouts after me. "And bring my spare ones as well! Landon has the same size feet as me, he can use them."