Chapter 26 - The Face Behind The Mask

Two weeks go by and I text Miranda everyday, just normal stuff so that Brett won't grow suspicious if he sees them. I wouldn't put it past him to check her phone. She texts me back, thankfully, so I know she's still breathing. But I can't stop the fear for her growing steadily in my heart every single day. I'm afraid one of these days Brett is going to take it too far, and I need to get her to leave him before that happens. I can't lose anybody else, I just can't. I refuse to.

Brett was home when I drove by a week ago in the pretense of borrowing one of Miranda's dresses. It was so weird seeing him knowing what he's really like. You think you know someone, but you never know what's lurking just beneath the surface. Never know how many secrets people are hiding behind a smile.

It took everything in me to not strangle him then and there. I was almost shaking with suppressed rage, looking in they eyes of someone I long considered a friend. Someone I rooted for with my best friend. I almost hurled right then and there.

But she's still adamant in her belief that Brett loves her and won't hurt her again. She believes he's going to change. I have no such faith. People can grow, sure, but once an abusive asshole, always an abusive asshole, at least where I'm concerned. I just want to see the bastard in jail.

Right now I'm at a late night run alone, since Landon is still at work and we had better stuff to do in the morning. I'm a mile from Miranda and Brett's house when my phone rings, interrupting the music. One ring and it stops, the music blasting in my ears again.

I freeze and check my phone. One missed call: Miranda. Shit. Shit shit shit.

I force my legs to go faster. I have to get to her fast. She could be in serious trouble if she's calling me.

I call Landon on the way, having trouble getting out the words in between my heavy breathing.

"I'll be there as soon as I can," he promises, his voice full of worry. "Be careful. And don't antagonize him. Please, babe, just... be careful."

"I'll try by best," I promise, my fingers trembling. "I gotta go." I end the call and grip the phone tight as I fly past street after street.

We don't know if Brett's beating the hell out of her or if he's gone for the moment and she's finally decided to leave him. I have no idea what I'm walking into, but I don't care. I just know i need to get there.

I reach their house in six minutes, my lungs on fire. I skip the steps up to the immaculate white porch and listen. I can just barely hear muffled sounds, so I press my ear against the wood, my heart thundering against my chest.

Someone screams. A high, terrified scream. The color washes away from my face. Miranda.

I quickly text Landon to call the cops, then braze myself. I start banging on the door, hoping to interrupt whatever is happening inside, having no idea what I'm going to do if Brett answers the door. A loud thump and a cry follows.

I run to the closest window but the curtains are drawn. The house has gone quiet.

I scan the yard and my eyes go to a picnic table set-up. Without giving myself time to think it through, I grab one of the wooden chairs and lift it up, swinging it against the biggest window with all my strength.

The glass shatters and loud curses sound inside. I use the chair to scrape away the remaining big sticks of glass and crawl inside, scratching my bare legs in the process.

I've just made it to the lounge when Brett storms into the room, Miranda running after him. She's limping her left leg, and one of her eyes is swollen shut. Her pajamas show old and new bruises on her legs, her arms. She's crying, looking from me to Brett in terror.