Field Trip (Pt. 6) - Captain America

When lunch is finally over -key word being finally- Mr. Locke rounds us up to go wait for Mike by the elevator. I'm pretty sure that he witnessed the entire thing at lunch and saw it all play out, and then didn't feel the need to step in, but I don't care. I can handle myself very well without him intervening. 

     At least that's what I tell myself. The real test will be when the Avengers find out what a total jerk Flash is, and then they intervene. It's kind of obnoxious that they don't think that I can do things on my own, but they're the Avengers and it's not a good idea for me to mess with them.

     Mike arrives exactly on time, per usual, at 1:00 o'clock (I mean really, what else would he being doing with his time?), and motions for us to all enter the elevator to make our way to the next Avenger: Captain America. This is one that I'm kind of really nervous for, because Mr. Rogers tends to act like a mama bear when it comes to his family. And when Flash can't keep his mouth shut, things are going to start going downhill really fast.

     Did I really just call him my family? Does he even think of me as his family?

     As soon as we exit the elevator, we see Mr. Rogers posing in his suit. And by posing, I mean full on leg-on-chair-and-staring-at-absolutely-nothing-in-the-distance posing. This man is really freaking committed.

     We filter into the rarely used conference room and all my classmates are awestruck. I see Mr. Rogers almost daily though, so this situation for me is just kinda... odd.

     There are no chairs in the room either, so everyone just leans awkwardly against the wall or sits on the ground. 

     Mr. Rogers does this really stupid thing where he pretends like he doesn't see us until we were all in the room with the door closed. I'm standing in the front, because once again, Ned pulled me to the front, and I just feel so, so uncomfortable. I can tell that I look awkward too, by the way my hands are stuffed in my pockets and all my weight is shifted onto one leg. I think to myself, Yep, just me... Just Puny Little Parker... 

     Don't say that, Peter! A voice says in my head, but the creepy part is, it's not my voice. It sounds like...

     Wanda? I say in my head. I don't know if she can actually hear me or how this works, but she responds.

     Yes, Peter. Who else would it be?

     Okayyyy, hi, Wanda. Umm... Why are you in my head?

     Well, truthfully, I've kind of been on and off in your head all day. I was bored and really just intended on sitting back and watching you fail, and maybe laughing, but I heard you deprecating yourself for the second time today and I just had to intervene. Pete, you are insanely smart and sweet and such an adorable dork. You've got a big heart, kid, and on top of that you're Spider-Man. There is absolutely nothing about you that is puny, Peter. So don't tell yourself you're less than you are.

     ...Thank you. You're the big sister I've never had.

     No problem. Now, can you please do something stupid? I'm bored!

     I smile to myself, chuckling at her childishness. At that moment Mr. Rogers turns around, and says, "Ah, I didn't see you there!" to the class. He looks around, making eye contact with everyone (probably to show respect, but it's just super awkward) until he makes eye contact with me. His eyes light up and he says, "Oh hey! Didn't see you there bud!"

     "Uh, hey, Captain America. Big fan!" I say, trying not to let the class see that I actually know this man. He looks at me strangely, probably since I haven't called him "Captain America" in a very long time. Actually, when he first came back after the whole Sokovia Accords mix-up, I wouldn't call him by his real name because I was mad that basically as soon as the rouge Avengers returned to the tower, he and Mr. Stark started fighting (Cap started it). I had to get in between them, but I wasn't ready to reveal my identity to them, so I figured that if I just stood between them, they would have to stop fighting. However, he was already winding back his fist by the time I slipped in between them, so he couldn't stop himself and almost ended up punching me into next Tuesday. I caught his fist, though, so while he was freaking out that he almost killed a child, I kicked him in the nuts, said "That was for hurting Mr. Stark," and walked away. After that, I called him Captain America and did my best to make him feel bad for a month, but I gave in and we're actually really close now.