Chapter III

It takes hours for Rey to fall asleep but she eventually gets there. She has the most trouble falling asleep in an empty bed. She's so used to sleeping in your arms. She's so used to having another body to hold. She's so used to feeling protected. But now, all of that is gone and there's just Rey. Knowing that you won't be there when she wakes up is the most challenging. Rey often wakes up crying because of that simple and painful fact. She opens her eyes and sees that you're not there and were never there. It hurts deeply and all Rey can do is cling to your pillow and pretend that part of you is still with her.

She continues to toss and turn in her sleep as she starts dreaming of you. She dreams about when you met on Jakku. She was immediately taken by you; your beauty, your kindness, and your loneliness. You both grew up on the desert planet as orphans and had to fend for yourself. Life was hard but you bonded over that and you quickly became inseparable. You did everything together and it wasn't long until you fell in love. 

Rey was absolutely smitten with you and you with her. You adored each other and it wasn't until you tackled Rey into the sand to save her from a falling beam in an old Imperial star destroyer that you shared your first kiss. You rolled on top of her, only realising that you were on top of her when you looked down. Rey was already gazing at you and immediately thanked you for saving her. You said that it was, "no trouble at all". Rey giggled then slipped her hand onto the back of your neck and pulled you in for a kiss.

It was a soft yet firm kiss that made your heart rate spike and your temperature flare but you enjoyed every second of it. When you were done you smiled at each other and the rest was history. You still continued to do everything together but this time with more kisses and cuddles courtesy of Rey. Neither of you had ever been in a relationship before so it was a wonderful new experience but you could tell that it meant more to Rey. 

It meant a lot to you also but there was something about it that Rey held close to her heart. Perhaps it was having a partner in crime; someone she knew she could turn to when she needed. Perhaps it was having someone who could help her with scavenging. Perhaps it was the fact that she simply wasn't alone anymore, which made it so precious. She always had you and that feeling was out of this world and all worlds. She knew you were always going to be there for her and she knew that someone loved her for who she was. She couldn't go back to being that lonely scavenger. Not after you. No way. But now, she has no choice.

Rey dreams of your more beloved times such as when you religiously had dinner together and sat under the stars, talking about whatever you could think of before retreating to Rey's home in a broken down AT-AT and bathing together, which more often than not led to physical intimacy. Rey's most cherished memory is lying with you after, holding each other and resting before exhaustion took you away into unconsciousness. 

Rey loved waking up in your arms and you had to be careful not to sleep in too late because you needed to be up at a reasonable hour to scavenge. Scavenging did grow tiresome but you had each other so it wasn't all bad. Rey remembers one morning where she slept in late because the night before was quite vigorous that it expelled all of her energy. You tried to shake her awake but she didn't budge so you spoke her name until she woke.

"Rey... Rey... REY!"

Just like that, Rey jolts awake from her dreams, rising and looking around her quarters to find herself alone. She looks beside her where you used to sleep and finds it empty. She's aware that it is empty and will be from now on in but part of her likes to believe that she'll wake up one day and realise that this had all been a bad dream and that you'll be right there next to her to start another day. Rey rubs her eyes before slipping out of bed to get some water. Waking up in the middle of the night is a common occurrence now. Before your passing, Rey used to sleep through the night uninterrupted and woke up the following day feeling refreshed. She misses those times dearly.

The brunette approaches the sink in her quarters, filling up a cup since she basically lives in her room since your death. She drinks then looks in the mirror, staring at her tired self. She doesn't feel like herself anymore. She even thinks she looks different now. It's not a nice feeling and Rey wishes more than anything that she could just turn back time. She misses you so much.

"Be with me..." She utters. "Be with me..."

She closes her eyes, concentrating on you and trying to find your Force connection. She tries hard; reaching out with her feelings but to no avail. That is until...

"Rey..."

Eyes springing open, Rey hears your voice and she feels the pull to you. However, the pull is not through death but through life. Racing out of her quarters, Rey bursts into Finn's, waking him frantically.

"Finn! Finn! Wake up!"

"Ah! What? What!"

"She's alive."

"What? Who's alive?" He frowns, half-asleep.

"Stars. She's alive. I felt it. Just then. I felt it. Our Force connection is weak but it's there. She's alive."

"Wait..." Finn rubs his eyes and sits up. "I thought you said your connection was lost?"

"It was but then it came back. I was reaching out to her but instead of getting a spirit connection, I felt a live connection. She's alive."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

"Where is she then?"

"I don't know. We have to go back to the battlefield and see if she's still there. I'll try and talk to her but the connection is weak."

"Alright, do that. I'm glad she's alive," he grins because he really is happy, despite being woken up in the middle of the night.

"Me, too." For the first time in days, Rey genuinely smiles. "We have to find her."

"We will. First thing in the morning, we'll go look for her but in the meantime, try and get some rest. I mean it."

"I'll try."