Chapter XX

By the time you reach the ruins, Rey is nowhere to be found. You, Finn, and Jannah search through the wreckage, and the entire time, your heart feels heavy. This place holds great evil and darkness and it weighs on you like a thick blanket.

"Hey," Finn puts his hand on your shoulder. "Are you okay?"

You turn to the man whose eyes scan you carefully yet softly.

"Yes," you nod with a smile. "I'm fine. There's just a lot of darkness here."

"I know. I can feel it, too. Do you know where Rey is?"

"She's angry, I know that much but-"

You freeze when you feel an overwhelming pull inside you. It's strong and it's calling out to you.

"This way,"

You surge down the hall and Finn and Jannah are quick on their feet to follow you. The halls get darker the further you venture but you eventually get to an opening and that's when you are met with a bright light - natural light - entering through a shattered circular window frame. The floor is covered with parts of the wreckage and other garbage but when you turn to your right, you are met with a sight that stops you in your tracks.

"Whoa..." Finn utters. "Is... that?"

"His throne?" You answer. "Yes."

With the pull growing stronger, your feet carry you across the way until you reach Palpatine's decayed chair that once he sat ruling the wicked Empire so many years ago. Walking closer, you begin to hear echoes - voices. They are in Sith. The language is cold and evil and you feel the pull to the Dark with every word but you resist. When you open your eyes that you didn't even realise you had closed, you find yourself standing directly in front of the chair. So many thoughts and feelings rushing through your head yet, no words for them.

You raise your hand from your side and reach out to the throne. The pull grows stronger and stronger, every noise around you blocking out as you focus on the Sith speech echoing within you. You don't even hear Finn's voice as he tries to call you back. Instead, your hand touches the throne and your eyes open but when you look around, you are not in the throne room any longer. Instead, you are in a much bigger room but it's not a room - it's a temple founded on a dark, cold stone. You feel lost and alone with an overwhelming sense of darkness. You have never felt so alien in your own body.

Before you can properly take in your environment, lighting and thunder bellow behind you, and when you spin around, you are almost crippled to your knees when you see a large, jutting stone-crafted throne that looms over you like a tower. However, it's not the throne that frightens you but the one who ensconces themselves on it, and that person, is you - clad in black with glowing, yellow eyes obtaining an overbearing sense of power and darkness and with the most nefarious grin ever to exist.

"Hey!"

You jolt and you find yourself back in the throne room with Finn by your side as he pulls you out of your vision.

"Hey, what's going on with you?" He probes.

"Rey," you breathe. "I know where she is. Come on."

Spinning on your heel, you race out of the throne room where you find yourself outside in the unforgiving weather where a storm is brewing fast, causing the ocean to manifest even more violently.

"There she is!" Finn points and you spot Rey fighting on a wreck with Kylo Ren.

Anger flares in you at the sight of the man and the three of you chase after them.

"REY!" Finn calls out.

"NO!" Rey spins around and uses the Force to repel Finn back where he lands by your feet.

"Finn!" You fall to your knees and you and Jannah help him sit up but just as you do, a tidal wave rises above you; merciless and destructive.

You look at Rey who meets your gaze. The exchange is only brief but it's enough for Rey to read you and quickly turn around where she leaps onto a further platform. You rise and use the Force to manipulate the wave away from you and push it toward Kylo Ren. You crash the wave down on him but unfortunately, he leaps through it successfully, meeting Rey on the other side.

"Dammit!" You snap.

"We have to go after her!" Yells Finn.

"No, we can't follow them!" Says Jannah.

"I can't leave her!"

"We can't!"

"REY!"

"She's right, Finn," you speak. "We can't. It's too dangerous. We have to get off this wreck. It's not safe."

"We can't just leave her!"

"I'll stay with her then and see if I can manipulate these waves to intercept Ren. Wait for Poe!"

Finn agrees and you start rushing towards the end of the wreckage where you see Rey and Kylo still fighting. You can feel Rey's anger and her sole focus is to destroy him and you know he can feel her anger, too. As much as you want to interfere, you need to focus on keeping these crashing waves away from your love. It's only a matter of time before they drag her into the vicious sea beneath. You do everything you can to bend the waves to your will, keeping them as far away from Rey as possible but as the storm continues to form, the waves grow stronger.

Rey's anger never subsides but you can feel her getting tired. She is focusing too much on her anger and relying on that to defeat her enemy but her energy is depleting fast.

"Be strong, my love... Be strong..." You utter, counterbalancing your energy between controlling the waves and connecting with Rey.

You feel Rey gain her strength however, you are nearly knocked off your feet when you feel a shift in the Force but more so, a loss.

"Leia..."

Looking through the waves, you see that Rey has impaled Kylo with his own saber. Rey turns to you where you lock eyes and you are both on the verge of tears. Rey then turns off Kylo's saber and looks at him falling to the ground. You watch as best you can through the rain and see Rey kneel down beside the fallen Skywalker where she transfers her energy to heal his wound. You feel Rey's heart and it's full of guilt and great melancholy but also in that is forgiveness and care.

Once Kylo is healed, you expect Rey to return to you but she doesn't. Instead, she turns around and races towards Kylo's ship that she uses to fly off the wreckage and furthermore, out of the planet's atmosphere. You can feel the conflict within Rey. It's heavy and glum and it breaks your heart watching your love fly away. Usually, Rey would fly to you but now, it's almost as if she is running away and it hurts. Subsiding your tears, you turn around and return to Finn and Jannah who are boarding the Falcon.

"Where's Rey gone?" Finn asks when you take his hand to board the ship.

"I don't know but we need to get back to the base." You enter the ship and walk down the hall with Finn following you.

"But what about Rey? We need to follow her! We can't just-"

"Finn," you stop and turn to him. "Just get us back to the base, okay? I need to be alone. I need to think."

With that, you turn back around and head into one of the rooms in the back, locking yourself away as you grieve the loss of your most loved and respected General.