ONE. I

SEASON ONE
Chapter One
The Vanishing of Will Byers

        CATHERINE MONTGOMERY HAD a tragic start into the week, really

CATHERINE MONTGOMERY HAD a tragic start into the week, really. She had left the girls' restroom, rummaging through her school bag in search of her lip gloss because, ugh. She had looked in the mirror two minutes prior and had to scrunch up her nose because, again, ugh, her pink lipstick did not match her red eyeshadow as well as she thought that morning and now she had no time to change her lip color because she was late to class. Ugh.

        The hallways of Hawkins High were empty as everyone were in their classes already. Still, Monty somehow managed to bump into someone, but decided to ignore and walk past them because she had better things to do. Like find that fucking lipgloss, where is that thing... when a hand grabbed her wrist. Before she looked up she hissed, "Look where the fuck you're going–" but her sentence was cut short when she realized whom she's bumped into.

        Steve Harrington was looking down at her, a frown on his face. He was her boyfriend of four years going on five, and she still loved him like when she first laid eyes on him in Middle School.

        Her frown quickly turned into a smile, showing off her perfect teeth. Well, not that perfect, since she had a small gap in her front teeth that you'd only notice if you stared into her mouth long enough. Steve, however, didn't pay any attention to that.

        "Hey, babe, sorry," she said. "We need to talk," said Steve quietly.

        She frowned. "I'm late to class."

        "Yeah, me too. But it's important, and it can't wait."

         She noticed how his hair looked a bit disheveled, and started wondering if his behavior had something to do with their upcoming anniversary. Five years. What a fucking time. She had the date saved and circled in her purple calendar that was next to her giant poster of Madonna in her room. What an icon. Monty was so excited. They had agreed on going to the movies, and afterwards have dinner at Enzo's. Monty also had the perfect gift for Steve.

         Steve walked ahead of her, unlike the many times he's walked beside her and held her hand despite their big height difference. She followed him into an empty classroom, and he sat down on top of a desk. She stood opposite of him, needing to look up at his face because he was so damn tall and she was so damn short.

        "I... I don't know how to say this, but..." he trailed off, looking her in the eye for the first time. She looked at him expectantly.

        "Oof... harder than I thought," he muttered, "Monty, I'm kind of breaking up with you."

        She stared at him. "What do you mean kind of?"

        "It means I'm totally breaking up with you."