ONE. VIII

SEASON ONE
CHAPTER EIGHT
THE UPSIDE DOWN

        TRYING TO FIND THE RIGHT words, Monty was pacing up and down the Byers' driveway

        TRYING TO FIND THE RIGHT words, Monty was pacing up and down the Byers' driveway. Her hands were shaking a bit, a box which was wrapped up in lipstick-patterned wrapping paper held in her hands. She took a shaky breath as she turned to look at the house. The lights were on inside, and she closed her eyes, hoping Jonathan was inside to accept her gift.

         She heard a car arrive and opened her eyes again to see Steve Harrington get out of his car. "Monty? Is that you?" He asked, squinting his eyes to see better as it was dark outside.

          She looked to the ground and poked her tongue against her cheek. "Yeah. Made it home alive. Almost died, though."

          "What– I–"

          "Save it, Steve. You left me out in the woods to die because you couldn't get over your ego," she interrupted, "What are you doing here?"

          "Me? What are you doing here?"

          She held up the box in her hands. "Trying to make up for what we did."

          He nodded, realizing what was inside. "I'm here to, uh, talk to Jonathan," he said, scratching his neck.

          "What for? Trying to lose another fight?" She smirked.

           He didn't look amused. He said, "I messed up big time. Came to apologize."

           She raised her eyebrows. "Well, then."

           "After you," he said, gesturing for Monty to go first.

           She walked up to the froont door and knocked softly. "Hey, Jonathan?"

            "I wouldn't even hear the knock if you went up to my door knocking like that," Steve said from behind her. She rolled her eyes, saying, "You'll never hear me knock on your door again."

           Steve pretended as if he didn't hear and started banging hard on the door himself. "Jonathan? Hey, you there man? It's– it's Steve! And Monty! Listen, we just wanna talk!"

            "Geez, if I were him I wouldn't open."

            "Why not?"

            "You yelled as though you wanted to punch him again," she said laughing.

            "I–" Steve was interrupted by the opening of the door. It was Nancy who did.

           "Nancy?!" Steve and Monty said in unison.

            "Guys, listen to me," she said, "You need to leave."

            "We're not trying to start anything," Steve said as Monty held up the gift. "I have a present for you, Jonathan," she shouted.