ONE. V

SEASON ONE
CHAPTER FIVE
THE FLEA AND THE ACROBAT

        SHE WAS CLAD IN A BLACK DRESS that really compimented her waist, which wasn't her usual style as the dress was long-sleeved and reached her knees, but she was fine with wearing it

SHE WAS CLAD IN A BLACK DRESS that really compimented her waist, which wasn't her usual style as the dress was long-sleeved and reached her knees, but she was fine with wearing it. Her mom had scolded her, "Catherine, you need to dress appropriate, we're going to a funeral, not a party!" when she first showed up before her mom in a tight and strapless black dress.

Monty slipped her feet into the black loafers and fixed her lip gloss before Claire knocked on the door.

"Come in!"

Claire walked inside. She handed Monty golden earrings with a small hoop and wing pendants. "They used to be mine, but you can wear them today..."

Monty took them and put them on. She loved them.

Her mom sat down on Monty's bed and sighed loudly. "I can't imagine what Joyce must be going through... losing a child. The feeling must be unbearable," she said.

Monty sat down next to her. She pushed a strand of hair that had fallen onto her mother's face behind her ear.

"Mom, it was an accident... Kids do stupid stuff," she tried to calm her down. "If it means anything, I still don't think he's dead. He might've jumped around and shit, but didn't you always say Will was a smart one?"

Claire nodded. She hugged her daughter tightly. "Just... behave, okay? Joyce and I have been friends for a long time and I want to be there for her. I need you to cooperate, honey."

Monty faked a shocked expression, "Mother, I am an angel! Don't my earrings confirm?"

Claire chuckled, causing Monty to grin widely.

          "Fear not, for I am with you

"Fear not, for I am with you. Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand," Pastor Charles quoted the Bible when the family and friends of the Byers stood around a much too small grave for a dead.