[ʻĀnela means Angel in Hawaiian. Lani is Hawaiian, so I wanted to incorporate her language into the story. She may occasionally say something in her language, but will mostly speak as most in LA do.

Forewarning, chapters are long, as they are near full episodes]

Season One

Leilani, Lani, Iosua walked into the police station. It was her first day as the new deputy and to say she was nervous was an understatement. Her mother, Kalea Iosua, had been a cop.

The new deputy had followed in her mother's footsteps. Leilani Iosua was brutally murdered when Lani was about ten-years-old. Stabbed in her own living room right in front of her youngest child.

Lani looked around and a dirty blonde-haired woman walked up to her.

"Are you Leilani Iosua?" The woman asked.

Lani nodded. "Yes. Call me Lani."

"I'm Detective Chloe Decker. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"And you as well."

"Follow me." Chloe proceeded to show Lani around the station, ending at her desk which was near the detective's.

Mere hours later, Chloe walked up to Lani's desk. "Homicide came in. Are you ready to get to work?"

Lani nodded. "Absolutely. I can't believe this happened on my first day."

Chloe smiled. "Get used to it."

They made their way to the crime scene. Lani frowned, seeing the building. It was a nightclub. The name of the nightclub intrigued her. Lux, Latin for light, was not a name she'd associate with a nightclub.

Another detective walked up to the two women. "Want to hear what I've got so far?"

Chloe frowned. "Lieutenant said this is my case and that the new deputy could assist me."

"Yeah, Chloe, it is your case, but try not to take too much time. It's an easy one. That's our bad guy." He pointed to the wrecked car with a dead man inside. "Eddie Deacon, he's a low-level drug dealer. I found these and his pocket, and I found this in Delilah's purse, so obviously drug-related. She probably owed him a bunch of cash or something. She's not exactly selling out stadiums these days."

"How do you know he's low-level?"

"Look at his car."

"Did you look at his watch?" Lani questioned, noticing the gold watch around his wrist. "That's not cheap."

"It's probably fake. Look; there's gonna be a lot of attention on this, Chloe, Lani. I wouldn't pick at it too hard. Not after Palmetto Street. Not on your first day, Deputy."

Chloe pursed her lips. "I asked for this case because of Palmetto Street, Dan. I think this would be a good case to start Lani on. So, anyway, any witnesses?"

Chloe and Lani walked into Lux to see a tall brunet, dark-eyed man in a nice suit at the piano.

The man said, "Lucifer Morningstar."

""Lucifer Morningstar"?" Chloe repeated. "Is that, uh, a stage name or something?"

Lucifer chuckled. "God-given, I'm afraid." He smiled at the women and zoned in on Chloe. "You know, you look familiar. Have we met before?" He looked at Lani. "You seem familiar too."

"Yeah, five minutes ago. And we're asking the questions. Talk us about your relationship with the victim."

"Well, she used to work here a few years back. I would occasionally accompany her while she sang. Then she became a big star and someone decided to end her life."