XXIX

Lucifer was on gurney in a hospital. "I'm not the Devil, I'm just  man who's delusional. I made it all up. I made it all... Up."

36 Hours Earlier

LINDA'S OFFICE

"I'm doing great," Lucifer said.

"Great," Linda replied. "Great is... Good..."

"Okay, good talk. Same time next week?" He noticed Linda's expression.

"Uh, sorry, it's just that... Some of the things that you said in our last session raised some issues for me."

"Do tell."

"So this secret plan to cut through the Gates of Heaven..."

"Well, actually, we've hit a bit of a snag with that. The Flaming Sword's kaput. Now, we can't work out what's wrong with it, and until we can, we're in a bit of a holding pattern."

"Ah, that's a relief."

"Well, why would you say that?"

"God and His ex having a fight to the death? Sounds kind of bad for, you know, humanity."

"Oh, you'll probably be fine."

"Probably? That's not exactly reassuring. What does Maze think of your plan?"

"Well, I don't know. I haven't told her. Hence the secret part of the secret plan."

"She's your best friend."

"Yes, well, as much as I love my little sex thing, Maze can do things that she thinks are in my best interest that turn out to be, well, disastrous. And I can't afford that."

"Hmm."

"But the good news is she's busy focusing on her new besties right now. The Detective and the Deputy. They're practically inseparable."

APARTMENT

Chloe and Lani tried to avoid Maze.

"Hey, roomies," Maze greeted. "Where are you two going?"

"Maze, hey," Chloe replied. "Um, we're on our way to work. We're running late."

"Oh, no, but you two haven't had breakfast, come on." She held up two pieces of blackened toast.

Lani grimaced briefly. "No, we're... Oh, yeah, no, we're not hungry."

"Yeah, I know, the whole boring domestic thing... Not my jam. I should stick to managing the social part of our friendship. You two want to kick someone's ass?"

"Maze, I feel like, you know, we've been hanging out a lot lately," Chloe said. "And I think perhaps we should expand our circle of friends."

"I got you, Decker, Iosua."

"Yeah? You do?"

"I smell what you two are stepping in... Trust me."

HOSPITAL

"You know, you should give Maze a call," Chloe suggested. "Hasn't it been a while since you two hung out?"

"Tired of tripping over her sex toys, are you two?"

"I didn't say that. I just think it would do her, and me and Lani, some good if she wasn't around all the time."

"Well, here's the thing. Maze is like one of those little baby birds that imprints of whatever's near. Sadly, that's you two. You two are the new me."

Lani pouted. "We don't want to be you. We just want some space."

"Oh. Eventually Maze will find her place, but until then, what's the worst that could happen?"