XXVII

BAR

"How dare he walk out on me," Goddess said in between kisses. "I'm a goddess."

"Yes," the man replied.

"I think I deserve a modicum of respect."

"I respect you."

"Then why did my son abandon me?"

"Wait, we're talking about your son?"

"Do you know that I went to Hell for him? I even helped save his scrawny, little human, who I much prefer dead."

"This is getting weird."

"Yeah. It's been two weeks and no word. I mean, a mother has needs, don't you agree?"

"Okay, uh, I got to go."

"You're a terrible kisser."

The man left and Amenadiel walked up.

"Must suck to be on the outs with Lucifer," Amenadiel said. "He hates it when people manipulate him."

"I didn't," Goddess protested. "At least not like his father."

"True, but you're here. And the big guy's not. I bet Lucifer is plotting his revenge as we speak."

CRIME SCENE

Amenadiel stood in the distance, watching over Lani.

Lani felt someone watching her, but when she looked in the distance, no one was there.

"Still no sign of Lucifer?" Dan asked.

Lani shook her head. "I went by his place. It's completely packed up. No emails, no calls, nothing. He's gone. Just is what it is."

"You know, Lani, you don't have to pretend with me or Chloe."

"We know you're upset," Chloe said.

"I mean, he's your partner, he should've told you two he was leaving."

Lani pursed her lips. "Whatever. It's been two weeks. I'm over it. Please, just change the subject."

They walked up to the body and Ella said, "Man, I miss Lucifer. He was the best hugger. I mean, squirmer on the outside, but warm and fuzzy on the inside."

"Ella. Do you mind?" Dan asked.

Ella noticed the look on Lucifer's face. "Oh. Sorry, Iosua. Guess he hasn't called you either." She focused back on the victim. "So we got Ash Corrigan. 27. Cause of death, blunt trauma, by something that left small circular gashes around the wound. ME's gonna make some molds so I can track down - the murder weapon."

"Well, it doesn't look like a robbery," Dan noted. "I mean, guy's wallet and ID hasn't been touched. His car's still there. I'm thinking Ash was a club-goer. Got into a bar fight, then everything went to head out here."

"Hmm," Ella hummed. "I think he played in a band. Calloused fingers. Guitar player."

"Good catch," Lani noted.

"Well, yeah. And this. Looks like the band lost their front man."

"I can't believe he's gone," a band member said. "We were in such a good place. The album was selling huge, man. Tour was gonna be huge."

"This blows so hard," another band member said. "What's gonna happen to us?"

"Come on, dude, Ash is dead."

"He's just saying what we're all thinking. The band's over. We're screwed."

"So Ash was staying here?" Chloe questioned.