XVII

LINDA'S OFFICE

""Shag."" Lucifer laughed as he typed a word. "Oh, eight points to me, Maze."

"I see you have a new toy," Linda said.

"Oh this? No, no, no. This is for work. It's hard to believe I've never had one before."

"I actually have a rule about phones during session."

"Really?"

"No phones during session."

"Oh, why not? These things are incredibly therapeutic. 1,000 Tinder dates and Sex Words With Friends? Gosh, it's more addictive than a whore's naval cocaine."

"Uh--"

Lucifer's phone chimed and Linda shot him a look.

"Fine." He pocketed the phone. "Oh! Lovely. Gummies. Love these." He picked one up before turning to decorative balls. "And, do you know, I've never understood these. Are they just decorative, or are they for juggling?" He picked up the balls and juggled the balls, rolling one down his back. "I mean--"

"Yeah, you seem very distracted today."

"Oi!" The ball he rolled down his back nearly fell. "Oh, nearly."

"Okay. Sometimes when we're in crisis, we create distractions for ourselves, also known as barriers to facing our deepest fears."

"Oh, sorry, right. This is the part where you, um, dissect my deep psychological wounds, eh? The emotion-charged gong show of a child of divorce who may or may not have broken a deal with his dad by allowing his mum to stay on Earth."

"Mm. Has the visit with your mom been hard?"

"Piece of cake, actually. Mum's all sorted, not a problem."

"Really? Because the last time you were here, you used the word "frightened."" She chuckled softly. "And that's not like you."

"Well, turns out Mum's a peach."

"Hmm. And the "deal" with your dad?"

"To send Mum home? What, you think I'm scared of Him or something?"

"I think you're trying to avoid the unpleasantness of conflict."

Lucifer exhaled. "Hold on. So you're saying that distraction is a way to avert your problems."

"No."

"Ergo, the more I distract, the less I worry."

"No, I did not say that."

"Well, you didn't need to, Doctor, I just did, and it's bloody brilliant. Right."

"Where are you going?"

"Distraction calls. This really is a breakthrough, thank you."

"I'm just gonna--"

"Sure."

CRIME SCENE

Lucifer's phone blipped and he said, "I mean, who needs a gun and a badge when I've got oh!" He laughed.

"Hey, it's a crime scene," Chloe said. "Will you focus?"

As a crow cawed, Lucifer replied, "Well, someone's a grumpy pants today."

"Well, sorry, I got a lot on my mind."

"Yes, sorry, you have, haven't you? D-word, moving out of your mum's with the deputy, finding a new place--"

"Yeah, well, Lani and I are big girls and we need our space and it's time. Not that we have much with work and Trixie and Kiana."

"Stress can be so aging," Lucifer said with a sigh. "You two need a distraction from your woes, Detective, Deputy. It's a highly effective tool."