With Nikki (Chapter 2)

(Brooklyn POV)

7 a.m. my alarm goes off waking me from a restless sleep. On the way back to my apartment yesterday my Uncle Allen informed me that I'm not just Motley's housekeeper, I'm their personal assistant too. Somehow that just makes me more anxious. 

Climbing out of bed, I grab a matching pink underwear and bra set out of my dresser drawer and make my way to the bathroom for a quick shower. Standing underneath the warm water only relieves some of my nervousness. I know I decided to start my week at Nikki's house because of his moodiness, but right now it's that very moodiness that has me rethinking my decision. 

Changing into a pair of ripped dark bluejeans with a maroon t-shirt and black converse, I forgo putting on makeup, and opt for simply pulling my long strawberry blonde hair up with a decorative clip before going to the kitchen for a quick breakfast. 

Walking out of my bedroom, my eyes are instantly drawn to the front door. Laying on the floor just inside the door is a plain white envelope with B. Reynolds written across the front. With a chill running up my spine, I walk over and pick it up. Without even opening the envelope to view the contents, I raise the lid on my trashcan tossing it inside. 

I have lived in this apartment for eight months, and for the past three months I have been getting daily letters from a so called "admirer". At first it was high inducing getting little letters from a secret admirer. But in the past few weeks those sweet letters have turned menacing. I have never responded to them. There's never a return address or any identifying marking, so I have no idea who or where they could be coming from. 

Trying my best to dismiss the unwanted letter that now sits in my trashcan on top of last nights takeout containers, I set about gathering everything I need to make strawberry pancakes. While the pancankes are cooking, I scramble a couple of eggs and get some bacon frying. That might seem like a lot for one person, but I have no idea how lunch breaks are going to be handled with this being a less than traditional job and all. 

After breakfast I grab my purse and keys, locking the door on my way out. Driving to Nikki's my mind keeps going back to the letters that are being slipped under my door every morning. The only positive thing about that letter this morning is that it got my mind off of my anxiety over Nikki. At least it did until I pulled into the driveway. 

I sat in my car for a good ten minutes seriously contemplating going to Micks house instead. While his house was dark with an almost creepy Gothic feel about it, the man himself was rather welcoming. Finally, steeling myself for whatever mood my first boss would be in, I got out of the car and approached the front door. 

Just as I raised my hand to knock, the front door was pulled open revealing Nikki wearing black leather pants, a navy blue button down shirt, and black leather boots. "It took you long enough," he said smiling, "I was starting to think you planned to stay in your car all day". Returning his smile with one of my own, "No, I just didn't want to show up too early" I lie smoothly. 

Stepping aside he pulls the door open motioning me inside. The only light in the room is coming from a couple of table lamps on either side of a dark leather couch. "Here's a key for the front door" I hear Nikki say from behind me. Turning around I see him holding out a small silver key, "This way you can come inside as soon as you get here, and you can still have access to the house even when I'm not home." he explains. 

Thanking him I take the key and quickly attach it to my key-ring with my own house key. "So is there a list of things I need to do, or should I just get started with general cleaning?" I ask, looking around. "Well I have a to do list ready if you want to start there" he answers. Agreeing, I follow him into the kitchen to get the list. 

I don't know why I'm so surprised when he takes his shopping list off of the refrigerator. It's so normal, it's weird. Standing next to him at the granite covered island in the middle of his kitchen, I watch as he methodically writes down everything that needs to be done. Aside from buying a few groceries, he adds stopping by the dry cleaner, and getting his car detailed. 

All in all it takes me about four hours to get through Nikki's list. After unlocking the door, I walk inside to put the groceries away, and the silence that greets me is unnerving. I halfway expected there to at least be a t.v. or music going at this time of the day, but there's nothing. 

Brushing it off to the fact that he might have left at some point after I did, I make my way into the kitchen. Setting the bags on the counter, I hear a door open in another part of the house. I was just about to call out to Nikki to let him know that I'm back, but female laughter caused me to quickly swallow my words.