Chapter 23: Not the Main Focus

Ava's PoV:

The amount of will power it takes to open my eyes is enormous.
After successfully peeling my eyelids off, a bright blinding light blurs my vision. I squint my eyes adjusting to the rays of light in the room.
I can feel the dryness of my throat. It's like I haven't had water in ages and I'm longing for the liquid to wash down the lumps in my sore throat.

A few moments pass, and I take in my surroundings. By the looks of the white walls, white bed and sheets and the whole white scheme in the room, plus the face mask I'm wearing and strings attached to my hands I can probably take a wild guess and say I'm in a hospital.
Yep. Definitely not in the Cheesecake Factory.

Why though? What happened?

From my peripheral vision I can see a body shift on the not so comfortable looking chair. I spin my head in the direction of the person, only for the person to open their eyes and he quickly leans in.

Noah. Of course it would be Noah.
Why was he here though? Was he the one who brought me here?
Does he know what happened to me?

He takes my hand in his, giving me a reassuring squeeze meaning everything will be alright.
"Hey, how are you feeling?"
He's blurting words, and my mind can only focus on one thing: those honey eyes.
Damn, can I drown in them?

It feels like it's been extremely long since I've gazed at his captivating honey eyes.

"Water, please" is the first thing I say. My throat is so dry I thought cactuses are starting to grow in there.

He pours me a glass of water, which I gulp down hungrily like a vacuum cleaner.

"What happened to me?" I really need to get some answers about how I ended up here.

All I can remember is watching sad movie in my room and crying nonstop.

"Yo—, you don't remember?" His tone laced with concern and worry.

"No, what happened and how many days I've been in here?"

He takes a deep breath, probably dwelling on what details he should mention and what to be discreet about.
I don't give him the time to make up his mind as I raise a pointed eyebrow signaling for him to straightforwardly spit it out.

He sighs defeatedly, running his hand through his wild hair.
Does this mean his morning hair is wild like this? Because I'd love to volunteer to tame those wild locks..

Not the main focus.

"Well, you got into a car accident about 2 days ago, some people called 911 and an ambulance brought you here. The hospital contacted me seeing I was the last person you texted "

I'm trying to process it all in.
I've been in a car accident. Wow I survived that.

"Why did I text you? I can't really remember anything after I got home the night of the accident. I don't recall texting you "
I squeeze my mind in a desperate attempt to remember what had happened, and why was I exactly texting him?
Oh God, please tell me I didn't drunk-text him. Right?

"You said we needed to talk, that it was important and you'd be coming over "

I sent that? In all my sanity?
Wasn't I possessed by some evil wicked demon?

He seems to notice my excessive train of thought as he quickly adds " I texted you back asking what was it about, since it was about 11 p.m or so, but you never responded. Must've been already in the crash "
He kind of mumbles the last part to himself.

"Don't overwork yourself. The doctor said you're fine. Just suffering from a mildly brain concussion that's very likely to cause you short term memory loss" he tries to reassure me that it's not my fault for failing to remember.

"Thanks for being here" I slowly say with a  small smile gracing my lips.
He might not be my boyfriend or soulmate for that matter but he cares.

That's all I could ask for now.

Øøøø

The clock hanging on the wall facing me showcases the time. 2:30 p.m.
Noah decided going down to the cafeteria to get me something to eat, since I was basically starving and my stomach kept on making these weird whale noises.

The doctor walks in with papers and a pin in hand, doing one of his routinely checks.
He smiles upon seeing me awake.
"Good afternoon Miss. Specter. How are you feeling?"

I smile at him slightly "I'm fine thank you "

He raises his eyes to meet mine in a quick glance " And the baby?"

My eyes are bulging from my face.
What baby is he talking about?
He must mean me. As in I'm the baby, simply because there is no such baby.

This is maybe the first time I almost choked myself upon hearing the word baby, other than Justin Bieber's horrendous song called 'Baby' when it used to play nonstop by radio stations 10 years ago.
The only difference is back then I choked from boredom. Now I'm choking out of utter shock.

"Umm, excuse me? I'm not sure what you're talking about?!" I sound completely dumbfounded, because I am.

He clears his throat " Miss. Specter, you don't know you're 3 weeks pregnant? Have you had any unprotected sexual activity in the last month or so? I mean you probably don't know yet because it hasn't started showing. It usually starts showing around 2 months "

I have no idea how to react. What to think. I end up giving him a blank look that holds nothing.

I mentally facepalm myself revisiting the memories of when Noah and I hooked up.
Shit. That means he's the father. How am I going to tell a man that's about to go to prison, and doesn't want a relationship with me, that I'm pregnant with his child?

After a few minutes passed by rather quickly, with me overthinking the heck out of this situation, the door opens, walking in Noah with takeout food for the both of us, probably from some diner near the hospital since food here doesn't taste good. No scratch that, food here doesn't taste like anything.
And suddenly my appetite for food evaporates into thin air.
I'm no longer hungry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N:

-Any feelings about the baby?

-A girl or a boy? What do you think?

-Is Ava going to tell Noah she's pregnant and that it's his?

Thanks for reading, please vote ;))