Chapter 26: One Hell of a Day

Noah's PoV:

*trial day*

I glance at the clock beside my bed, 8:30 a.m. I have to get up soon to prepare myself for the trial.

Today is the day.

Today is when my future is placed in the hands of strangers, they can either decide to lock me up behind bars, or tell me I'm free to walk away.

To say I'm nervous would be an understatement.

My stomach is churning with knots and feelings of worry.

Today may be the last day I get to walk free under the ray of sun.

My family contacted me from Italy, seeming my parents were in the mafia, they definitely can keep up with my life from afar.
Ever since I refused to be part of the mafia and their heritage and said no to their supposed legacy, I had to leave Italy and start over somewhere else.
This being somewhere else.

I hadn't had much contact with them in years, but I know for a fact they do pull some strings to know how I'm doing every now and then.

2 days ago, my mom called me sounding all motherly worried about her son. She said she heard the news and wishes she could be here and said that her and dad perhaps would be able to catch a flight in time for my trial.

I don't know how to feel about it.
I don't want to be sentenced to jail with my mom crying on the sidelines.

Do I want my parents' last memory of me to be at a courthouse?

I sigh deeply running a hand through my disheveled morning hair, knowing that if I continue overthinking I would definitely be late.

I get up and go to the bathroom. Today will be one hell of a day.

Øøøø

4 hours later, am in court with my new lawyer Mr. IDontFuckingKnowHisName and Lily, he seems to be a good lawyer. Not going to lie though, I preferred Ava.

Of course, Ava.
My mind always seems to take me back to her.
We hadn't seen each other after her accident and I've been thinking about her every day.
Will she come?
Does she even remember me at this point?
It's been 3 weeks, and I hate the fact that I still can't get her out of my head.

The power love holds over a person is dangerous and destructive.

I scoff mentally, as thinking why would she even want to waste her time coming to my trial?!

I don't know what is going to happen, I'm terrified honestly.
But one thing I know for sure is that whatever decision the jury decides I want Ava to be the one standing there beside me.
Whatever they decide on eventually, she will make it less painful.

My lawyer is currently going over some documents, something about to prepare for his arguments.
And Lily is there standing next to him offering help when needed.

And I'm the one whose life is on the line and still I can't bring myself to concentrate on whatever they're blabbing about.

I just wish this all was a nightmare I could somehow wake up from.

Sadly, this is real life.

I feel a hand on my shoulder and someone calling my name.
I must've been really zoned out, for them calling me numerous times before I can open my mouth questioning what exactly do they want.

"Hey, the trial is starting soon. We should get settled inside by now" Daniel or whatever his name is told me and I nodded in understanding, before we make our way to our assigned room.

I take a deep breath knowing this will probably take sometime.

Øøøø

Ava's PoV:

Today is the day. Today is his trial and I'm burning inside.

I thought thoroughly before settling on going.
I don't know what is going to happen, or if he wants me there but I can't just sit here doing nothing, guilt eating me from the inside.

I needed to be there, at least see the face of my unborn baby's father one more time.
I still wasn't going to drop the pregnant bomb on him, especially not on a significant day like this.

I got dressed and texted Lily to send me the details of his trial.
Lily has been working with Daniel for a few weeks now, obviously momentarily just because I'm on sick leave, and he got my case.

He is a pretty respectable lawyer in the criminal justice department, but this case would have any lawyer no matter how knowledgeable and sharp they are worrying. Simply because the key is to get the jury to sympathize with lack of concrete evidence.
He was going to pull the feelings card, depending on the jurors emotions entirely. Which is desperate and bad.
No one can know how people will perceive something.
You can't program a reaction out of someone. This is the scary part.
It's like going to a shooting range blindfolded.

Øøøø

I pull my car in the parking lot and make my way to the court just in time before the trial starts.

I don't know if I'm ready to face Noah, but there's only one way to find out.

I open the door, seeing most people have already been seated.
I walk with small steps, the sound of my heals clicking on the floor made people turn their heads in my direction.
And then I spot him.
My heart stops for a brief moment.
He is in a suit, looking handsome as ever, almost like he did 3 months ago when we were at his hearing.
Except now, it's the real deal, the trial, and next to him is Daniel instead of me.

Our eyes lock with each other, and I can't resist those honey eyes. I guess they were one of the main reasons why I fell for him.
I could look at those honey eyes and forget everything.
I could tell he was surprised to see me here, wasn't he expecting me? Does he not want me here?
I see his face expression shift slightly, the edge of his lip twitching up just for a little moment, then it's back to a thin line. If I hadn't been starting at him, I might've missed it.
I take a seat as the judge stammers his hammer -wow that kind of rhymes- indicating the beginning of the trial.

This is about to be one hell of a day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N:

We're finally here, TRIAL DAY!!

I don't know how many chapters are left yet, but I can tell you we're nearing the end.

-What will the jury decide on? GUILTY or INNOCENT?

-Will Ava remember the CD? Or are some things just not meant to be?

Thanks for reading, please vote❣️