Chapter 30: Die Before My Heart Fails

Noah's PoV:

Ava just walked out on me in the middle of a hallway at court.
I can't really blame her though. I just don't understand the specific reason for the anger she's feeling right now.

I watched her go so agonizingly that my heart clenched more and more with every step she took away.

I had about 5ish minutes until recess comes to an end. As I'm walking down the hall, I spot a face. Scrutinizingly familiar green emerald eyes.

My mind goes blank as I spot a ghost from my past making an appearance.
What the hell is she doing here.
This is something that was in the past. A page that is turned. A story that ended way back.

I come closer to her, watching that sinister smile take place on her face.
"What are you doing here?" I ask, running out of patience.

She chuckled lightly, and the sound made me want to puke "As soon as I heard the news, I just couldn't resist showing up. Demonstrating my support "
She says like she doesn't know that I can't stand looking at her without my mouth going bitter.
She tries to put her hand on my shoulder, as we're old buddies. Which we are certainly not.
Before she gets the chance to touch me with those filthy hands of her, I grab her arm mid air, stopping her movements and then leaving it by her side.

If she felt uncomfortable by my gesture, she didn't show any signs of it. She then opens her mouth, and I should've seen her next words coming.
"It really looks you need the support though, especially after you lawyer girl walked out on you like that. It's funny though, I've just had an inter chat with her in the bathroom a few moments before"
She looks triumphantly, like she already knows she won this. And I hate to admit it but she's right.

I have no idea what she told Ava but it couldn't be something good.
Now I knows why she didn't even want to look at me, and why she chose to walk away. It was all because of the lies my ex can manufacture very well.

If I thought things were screwed, watch them getting more fucked up than before.

My phone rings and I know for a fact that I should go back to my designated room, they're about to announce the verdict.

I take a tremendously deep breath to prepare myself for whatever is next to come and start striding large steps.

I just possibly spent my last moments as a semi-free man talkie to the one person I hated. I shake my head in despair knowing I may have lost Ava forever now.

Øøøø
The serious voice of the judge echoes off in the silent room "Has the jury reached a verdict?"
One man who represents the jury stands up from his chair holding a sheet of paper.
"Yes, your honor. We have"
The judge looks relieved that the trial is coming to an end.

"And what may that decision be?"

"The jury has found the defendant guilty your honor." Murmurs and whispers spread like flames throughout the room.
The voices of people is drowned by the beating of my heart. My pace is quickening and it feel as though I can't breathe.

The judge stammers his gravel motioning for order instead of havoc and chaos.

"The defendant is sentenced to life sentence consisting of 25 years in a maximum security prison, then to have the death row after he's served his sentence " the gavel hitting the wood booms out through the room and it feels as if my heart was placed on that specific piece of wood for them to smash.

I'm going to spend the rest of my life in prison.
Then die in death penalty.
The latter seems hard to accomplish since my heart has already been broke the day I fell in love with her.

I knew I shouldn't have caught feelings, especially for someone I know I can't have.

So now instead of dying due to the death penalty, I'm well aware I've already ceased to live due to Love Penalty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N:

There it is...

The truth is this was bound to happen from the very first day I thought about writing this story.

I wanted a Nicholas Sparks type of ending, because I feel like it resonates more.

What are your thoughts??

I'm sad.

Thanks for reading, please vote and comment❣️