02

The bottoms of their boots crunched against the tan dirt road. Hand in hand, Evelyn and Will began their journey by first traveling to the docks. Neither one of them spoke but rather enjoyed the soothing sound of the wind rustling through the palm trees. The gentle breeze added a subtle cool kiss against their body. It helped with the bright mid-morning sun beams, a perfect combination of warm and cold. The whole surrounding that hugged the two would have caused anyone within it to be at ease with everything.

Anyone except for Evelyn.

Evelyn couldn't help but glance over her shoulder every few minutes, a sense of guilt forming in her gut. She hated the idea of leaving her children behind, even leaving Leo behind. Evelyn and her two boys had always been a team. It didn't feel right to leave behind Leo to her. But part of her knew leaving behind Leo, so he could take care of her children, would have been best.

The idea of leaving behind her kids with her parents had first crossed her mind back when she had first spoke to Henry about his findings. Her once servant, now mother, Amelia, had offered to have Charlie and little Amelia stay her with and Evelyn's father, Charles. That was until her father had surprised her mother with a trip to Paris. They would have stayed if it wasn't for Evelyn to encourage her parents to leave, enjoying their first trip together.

After talking with her parents, Leo had popped into her mind. If he hadn't wrote to her when he would be coming home, Evelyn would just have to let Will venture off on his own.

As if she would ever let him.

"Evelyn." Will's voice pulled her out of her thoughts. His voice near her ear caused her to blink around until she settled her eyes on him. She waited for him to speak as he studied her face, his face softening. "Don't worry about leaving behind the children. They know how to take care of themselves and we trust Leo with them. Most importantly, Amelia will be able to take care of her uncle and brother if we are that concerned." A gentle smile grew on his face; an effort to comfort her.

Evelyn normally would have smiled back but the stress was starting to get to her. A sigh passed through her lips as she blinked down on the dusty, dirt road. "It's not just that." She looked back up at him, throwing her arms up partially up in the air. "How do we even know if Jack is alive or not? Maybe Leo is right, we might need more help than we thought we did." Evelyn shook her head, brows furrowing at the slight panic beginning to consume her. She turned to face Will, walking sideways. "Where do we even begin looking?" Evelyn nearly cried out, turning back forward and dropping her gaze to the ground once more.

"Alright." Will let go of Evelyn's hand, halting in his tracks. He turned to face Evelyn, reaching his arm out around her waist to stop her from walking. She halted, giving a small sigh and turned to face him.

Will removed his arm, waiting for Evelyn's eyes to meet his. "We are going to be alright. Just breath. We are going to do this together. I have a plan and everything will turn out fine." He placed his hands on her shoulders, giving them a soothing rub.

Evelyn looked at him seriously. "You have a plan?" She raised a brow.

"Yes, I do. We leave here and we start with Tortuga. From there we follow the trail of the places where Jack had last been seen." Will moved a hand up to cup her cheek, brown eyes peering down into emerald eyes. "I promise, everything will be alright. The children will be safe at home, Leo will be there for them, and we can do this."

Evelyn let out a deep sigh, reaching up to hold on to his wrist. She fluttered her eyes closed, nodding. Opening her eyelids, she peered back into his eyes. "You're right, Will. I'm sorry. I'm just stressing even more than usual. I just hate the idea of leaving the children behind; we've never done that. And having to find Jack in order to break you father's curse. It's all too much." She slipped from his hold, moving her hand to slip back into his. "But I don't want you to take it on alone." She pointed out, pulling him back into a walk.