16

"So you and father never slept down here?" Charlie questioned curiously, laying back in the tan hammock. It was his idea to travel down below decks and find a nice quiet place to sit and chat.

Evelyn smiled softly at her son but Will was the one to answer. "Not together. I usually slept down here while your mother was given a bed and a small cabin." The teasing in his voice poked at her, causing her smile to turn into a grin.

"Jack likes me more, what can I say?" She shrugged, earning a small scoff from Leo beside her. The three adults rolled barrels over to Charlie's hammock, sitting right beside it.

Amelia gave a few giggles at her mother's words, laying in the opposite direction on the same hammock Charlie laid down. "Not to change the subject but, Leo, what was the nickname you had given mother all those years ago?" She asked curiously, craning her head slightly to look up at him.

Leo grinned, looking to Evelyn. "Lady Pirate." He shook his head, voice mocking her. Evelyn gave a small groaned at the name, while Leo shoved her knee making Will chuckle.

"You haven't called me that in years." She felt her cheeks turn warm through her grin.

Charlie smiled at his mother. "I still think you being the Pirate King was beyond amazing." He said as he adjusted his foot on the ground, swaying him and his sister.

Will and Evelyn shared a long look, smiling softly.

"It's been years since that had first happen." Will spoke softly.

"You did miss quite a coronation." Leo nodded, head teetering side to side.

Evelyn gave a small snort, wrapping her arms around her waist. "Politics are so messy."

Charlie leaned over, patting Evelyn's knee to grasp her attention. "Are you still the Pirate King? Is the Brethren Court even still a thing?" Her son questioned.

The mere mention of the Brethren Court hadn't reached Evelyn's ears in years. After defeating Lord Beckett and returning home, she never heard from her crew after a few years had pass. She never once was needed for any Brethren Court meetings. She had no idea what was left of the Court now.

Blinking, Evelyn turned to look to Charlie. "I have no idea." She replied truthfully.

It was quiet for a moment, a mere moment of peace.

But that peace didn't last for very long.

"Redcoats!" Henry's voice echoed through the light wind of the black night. "Redcoats!" He shouted again, causing everyone aboard the Black Pearl to freeze in their place.

An internal groan echoed in Evelyn's mind. The redcoats never gave pirates a break and seemed to never will. She looked to Will then to Leo, the three sharing a long look about the children that sat before them. She slowly moved her attention to her son and daughter, studying them for a moment. This would be a quite a test. A test to prove how much swords fighting they had mastered over their years of learning.

A small part of her wanted to hide her children, including Henry who was already up above the deck. But she knew in her heart and soul, they were ready to endure their first fight.

And she knew, she would be there to cut anyone down who tried to harm her children.

"Are you ready?" Evelyn breathed to her children, looking between them.

They sat up instantly, sharing a small look with each other. Emotions of anxiousness and excitement rested on their face and in their eyes. Their emerald eyes met their mother's, giving a firm nod.