[29] : UNCLE REMUS

"Astrid, this is Ny—"

"Nymphadora Tonks, I know." Astrid said, eyes never leaving Nymphadora, who beamed like the sun. Astrid awkwardly smiled back, feeling happy but jealous as well. Nymphadora knew their mother, their mother wanted Nymphadora but not Astrid. The only question she had was why. Why did Andromeda want Nymphadora but not Astrid? Did Astrid do something wrong? Was she disabled or disformed in some type of way? "I used to dream about her." She whispered and the only person who heard her was Remus, who sadly looked at the floor.

"Whotcha Astrid." Nymphadora grabbed her hand and shook it.

"Did you know?" Astrid asked, rubbing her wrist. Nymphadora had shook the one she had sprained vigorously and it wasn't really a surprise as to why it hurt. "About me?"

Nymphadora sadly shook her head. "No, she never told me. Only told me last year when she was sure she was dying." Astrid heard her sigh. "She's better now, but that doesn't mean she won't die."

"Well—" Astrid said, not sure if she should tell Nymphadora how she really feels. But she felt betrayed and so many other emotions at once. "I don't care." But Remus could hear the croak in her voice when she said it, he knew she didn't mean it. "She threw me away, but kept you."

"She didn't throw you away Astrid." Nymphadora smiled sadly at the girl, who shook her head. Andromeda threw her away, she didn't care about her, didn't care what she was eating, didn't care what she was wearing, didn't care about what house she was sorted in at Hogwarts. Andromeda just didn't care.

"Yes, she did." Astrid sniffed, backing away from Nymphadora and Remus engulfed her in a hug as she sobbed into his torn coat.

"She gave you to me Astrid, for a reason. Bellatrix wouldn't have wanted you, and Narcissa at the time as well. Walburga would've made you her slave. And Regulus, no matter how dark and broody he was, had a soft spot for you. But he couldn't take you, he was the golden boy, the one who brought glory to the Black name. She trusted me to take care of you. She still loves you Astrid, very much."

"I find that hard to believe." Astrid mumbled, still sobbing into Remus' coat.

"Do you remember who bought your wand?" Sirius asked, his voice soft towards her. Astrid shook her head as she let go of Remus. "You were only four, Regulus took you to Ollivander's. He was so happy that you two had the same wand core." Astrid could feel her wand digging deeply in her side but she ignored it. "This lady came up to him and asked if it was his child, he smiled and said yes. Our mother was not fond of that."

Astrid swallowed thickly. "I—" She sighed, glanced at Nymphadora, whose hair had now turned a dull grey, a clear indication that she was sad. "Excuse me."

"Ella." Remus said but Astrid stormed right past him and went up to her room. The floorboards creaked tremendously, but Astrid paid no attention to it. Just as she opened her door, Ron's door opened.

"Astrid? Are you okay?" He asked and Astrid took a deep breath in before she turned around to face him.

"I'm fine. Just tired." She flashed him a  half meant smile and Ron furrowed his brow in confusion.

"But it's hardly dark out."

"I said I'm fine Ron! Just really tired!" She snarled at him, and he swallowed thickly before he nodded and disappeared behind his door. Once in the haven of her own room, Astrid threw herself on the bed and stared at the green ceiling, the Slytherin badge smiling down at her.

What was she doing wrong that made the world hate her so much?

Later that night, she pulled out her sketch pad and began sketching the one person who she missed, though she only met the man once.

*

Dear Cedric,

I know you're gone and you're never going to reply to me but I need someone who will just listen to me and not judge me or throw me away.

I found out the identity of my parents, I found out that my uncle Regulus was actually very cool and actually liked me.

They threw me away Cedric, my mum and dad. Like trash, it hurts knowing that they wanted my sister but not me. What did I do wrong? Was I too ugly? I wish I had the answers Cedric. And I wish you were here, I miss you Cedric. So very much. Oliver and I had a fight the other day and we decided to call it a break. But at this point, I believe Oliver has found someone else. I need you Ceddy, I truly do.

I need someone who I can laugh with, someone who will mock Snape with me, someone who will do stupid things with me. I need you Ceddy, I need you.

Astrid.

Astrid stuffed the letter under her bed and sighed. What was she thinking? Writing a letter to someone who is dead? She could hear voices downstairs. Mia, Colette, Leo, McGonagall, Snape, Remus, Dumbledore, Molly, Arthur, Sirius and Harry. She could identify them all.

She heard a chair being pulled out and she identified the person as someone who she had never met when he screeched out, "Shut up Remus!"

She then heard footsteps stomping their way up the stairs angrily before she heard a soft knock on her door. "Ell? Can I come in?" She heard Remus ask. Astrid smiled, there was a reason why Remus was always her favorite uncle. The girl simply waved her wand and the door opened.

"Are they holding a debate or something downstairs? Sounds like a war zone."

"That would be Moody." Remus smiled at her. She had always preferred Remus over the overs. Remus understood her, even as a little girl rambling on about how the other girls were mean to her. Remus had been there for her first steps, which Astrid had walked to him, and her first words, which had been “Emus”. Remus had always been there for the girl. Sirius as well had been there, plastered right next to Remus.

"The real Moody this time?" She asked with a small smile, remembering what had happened last year and the letter she wrote.

"The real Moody this time." Remus said, smiling back just as kindly.

"I wrote a letter before you walked in." She swallowed thickly. "To Cedric."

"Oh Ella." Remus said with evident sadness etched on his face before he engulfed her in a hug as she crumbled in a sobbing mess.

"He was just so young uncle Remus! He deserved to live longer! He had dreams, beautiful dreams that had to come true." She sniffed. "It's pathetic isn't it? I'm eighteen and sobbing on your shoulder like a five year old."

"It isn't pathetic Ell. Sometimes the world takes away the good people, leaving only the bad."

"Then I must be bad uncle Remus." She sighed. "It's unfair that my dreams came true, while my best friend rots in the ground, alone."

"Maybe Ella." Remus said sadly. "Then I must be bad as well."