Chapter Two

The ride back consisted of laughs between the new friends. The young duke was happy to have someone he could confide in. While Katy was happy to have made a friend in general. They were born into two different worlds and had been put together by chance. Both trying to find where their place was in the changing world. Richard had made his formal introduction to court earlier in the year and as a result he felt for the young lady. She moved away from her family and sent into a new land with only her brother. He always had the support of his brothers.

"I'm eternally thankful for you. I fear I would've been lost without your kindness." Richard smiled warmly, helping Katy down from Morgan.

"Should you need or wish for anything, I am at your service."

"I have told you before, I am a simple woman. But your kindness has not gone unnoticed."

"Would you care for some advice?" Katy nodded softly as he led her through the long corridor, "Lady Isabel has already made her mind about you. And unfortunately, the Lady Anne will follow her older sister in disregarding you. But you will need an ally. Might I suggest the Queen? She, too, is looking for more support from court, outside of Edward." He walked slowed and stopped in front of a large door, "These are your chambers. Your brother's are next to yours, of course. And mine are next to his, should you need anything."

"Why are you being so kind, if you don't mind me asking?"

"I know what it is like being new at court. It is my wish that you do not leave before I do get a chance to know you. I quite enjoy your company." Richard took her hand and bowed, kissing it softly. "Goodnight, my lady."

"Goodnight, your Grace." Katy replied curtsying and slipping into the door, closing it softly behind her. Thomas sat in one of chairs as his sister tried to hide her red face.

"And what happened, dear sister?" He questioned immediately.

"He was a perfect gentleman. We simply talked and rode the horses around the grounds. The Queen's brother never let us out of his sight." Katy looked into the mirror and lightly touched her face, still smiling and blushing. "I have not made a fool of myself, yet," she beamed. Thomas couldn't help but laugh.

"You've brought us into favor. The King has invited us to a private meal tomorrow to dine with himself, the Queen, and the royal dukes." Katy quickly turned around and ran towards her chest. She rummaged through the simple dresses she owned, suddenly panicked.

"I do not have a gown for such an occasion. Ann assured me I would be overlooked and coming home in no time. It takes days to have a dress made!" Thomas looked over the dresses, stopping in front of the red velvet one. He lightly put a hand on it and smiled.

"What if we simply altered one?"

"The red one?" Katy questioned. "Normally mother or Ann would help with these matters."

"Is red not the color on our coat of arms? And the English flag? You must make a good impression. For with good tidings, this meal will bring wonderful news."

"A betrothal to the Duke of Clarence?" Katy questioned feeling the heavy fabric.

"How could..." Thomas began.

"Richard told me," she replied bluntly. Thomas moved away from the dresses and sat back down in the chair.

"What else did he share with you?" He questioned softly. Katy picked up the dress and held it up to herself in the mirror.

"Nothing." she replied nonchalantly. Thomas began laughing in such a way, Katy thought she might need to call a physician. "I have a friend at court," she replied. "That means we have a better chance at pleading his case."

"Father will be extremely pleased! This is much better than anyone could've expected. I believe if anyone could find a way to impress his Grace, it would be you."

"Have you not considered trying to befriend the young dukes?" Katy questioned, turning away from him. "After all, you stand between George and Richard in age. You hunt rather well and you have military experience." Thomas grinned and stood up.

"Goodnight, sister. Sleep well." Thomas slipped out of the room, leaving Katy alone looking at the red dress. She slowly undressed, letting the clothes hit the floor. The cold air moved over her naked body causing goosebumps to form. She quickly stepped into the red dress and slid into it. Katy looked into the mirror, examining herself for any flaws. The deep red complemented her auburn hair and fair skin. It was one of the beautiful dresses she owned, in the Irish style. And that is what made her hesitate. Her shoulders were exposed, and the bellowing sleeves were embroidered with gold trinity knots. Lining her bosom were gold Celtic patterns. She could never alter the beautiful craftsmanship on it.

And she suddenly realized, French woman do not stop wearing the fleur de lis, they embrace it. Whether in their dress or jewelry. She need not conform but remain true to herself and her roots. She was not English, and it would not be easy to find English support. Everyone viewed her as the uncivilized and barbaric woman. One who came to find herself better marriage prospects than back home. And in this moment, Katy was determined to prove them all wrong. She realized that Isabel would be set on making this transition difficult and that Richard was right. Tomorrow would be her opportunity to appeal to the Queen and King.