Chapter Twenty-Five

September, 1470

The crisp, warm air circled around Katy as she rode alone. Katy had come to enjoy the silence, she felt maddened by the constant talking at times. There was nothing but the sound of wind and Morgan's strong steps, which she loved. Katy rode quickly, realizing how much had changed for her during her time at Sudeley.

It had been confirmed, unfortunately, that Isabel's son was lost during her travel to France. Isabel was due for her confinement yet was forced to leave. Katy believed the storm and suddenness of her travel caused her such distress, for if she were home, she may have her son. Losing a child was rather saddening for Katy to think about, and she continually distracted herself. Katy was never given the opportunity to make amends with her and felt though she may never again.

Lady Anne Neville, to her knowledge, had yet to be married to Edward of Westminster. Katy and Richard were kept in the dark regarding the Neville girls. Edward had wished for them to continue appealing to the people of Gloucester, with limited distractions. Katy assisted in any way she could by giving alms, food, and caring for the sick. Edmund Townsend, the mayor, was impressed by the young woman's willingness to show the people through actions how she planned to be as a duchess. Gloucester was her home now, to the pleasure of Richard and her new tenants. It had become known that she would never ask anyone to do what she would not herself.

Morgan pranced around the open field; her body rather relaxed. For a warhorse, she had calmed in Katy's presence. Morgan played in the grass, rushing from one end of the field to the other. Katy's laugher filled the silent air, through the quick steps and fast turns. Morgan suddenly stopped and stood at attention. Katy took a deep breath, knowing Morgan only did this when someone approached. Katy listened to the rhythmic beats of one horse, traveling fast. She stroked Morgan's smooth neck and headed back towards the castle.

~

Katy sprinted to Richard's chambers, throwing the door open. Richard beamed at the sight of her, holding the letter in his hand.

"I know a King's messenger when I hear him," Katy spoke confidently from the door. She dared not smile but swallowed dryly. "Are you being summoned?" Richard had not stopped smiling, in stark contrast to Katy.

"Yes," he responded seriously. "It seems George and Warwick have returned, with an army. Edward and I must move south to intercept them."

"Warwick would fight for her while her son has not married his daughter? That seems rather bold."

"Is that not what we have asked your father to do?" Richard questioned, looking into her eyes.

"Yes, but Thomas has begun his rise in court. Edward has shown favor to my family on multiple fronts." She paused and smiled quickly, "Though, our marriage would give him another incentive. Protection not only for his children, but his grandchildren." Richard looked at the ground, still smiled and took a small breath. "When do you depart?"

"Tomorrow. We should have a special meal tonight, as Francis has been requested as well." Katy forced a smile and turned to leave. "You should wear your nicest dress tonight. I fear we may have visitors." Katy looked at Richard, rather confused.

"Who would come when you are to depart?"

"Nobles from the area." Katy furrowed her brow, realizing he was lying to her. "To support us," he added, trying to cover himself. Katy nodded slightly, holding her tongue and sliding from the rooms. She walked quickly to her own chambers, searching through the dresses she had acquired.

"What is happening?" Anne questioned, lightly closing the door behind her. Katy turned her head slightly, sighing.

"I fear I do not know. Richard is lying to me, though I do not know what about."

"He and Francis are speaking now. It seemed rather urgent."

"Warwick and George have invaded the south. Richard and Francis have been called upon to support the King." Anne stood silently. She and Katy had become accustom to them leaving for battle at this point. They both shared the same feelings of uncertainty, but always supported the other during their outward bouts of doubt. "Richard has asked me to wear my best dress, due to other nobles coming here." Katy turned to face her, "He has never cared for such matters before." Anne said nothing but pushed past Katy, pulling out a gold silk gown with red velvet accents.

"He must want to show you off," Anne reasoned, quickly unlacing Katy's dress. "When are they to leave?"

"Tomorrow," Katy whispered, as the heavy fabric fell to the ground. Katy quickly picked it up and lay it out on her bed.

"Tis not much time," her voice slightly broke. Katy turned to face her, taking her friend's hands.

"I will be here for you and the child! We shall support each other like we have done each time they have been called away. This is the way it has to be." Anne quickly hugged Katy, her large belly pushing into her body.

"Thank you," she whispered. Katy guided her to a chair, forcing her to sit.

"You must not cause yourself distress. Be calm, for I can dress myself," she commanded, laughing slightly. Katy tried to lighten hers and Anne's mood. She wanted to alleviate some of the stress they would feel over the next few hours. Katy slid the dress over herself. Her whole body was weighted down by the heavier fabric and she immediately felt hot. Katy laced herself into the new dress and looked at herself in the mirror, smiling and looking at the ground. "This dress is too much, I cannot wear this."

"He has commanded you to," Anne reassured. "You look beautiful, Katy." Katy beamed looking at herself. A loud knock interrupted them.

"You may enter!" Katy called, still looking at herself. The door opened as Katy moved away from it, slowly putting on her blue stone necklace.

"Lady Kathryn, his Grace requests your presence in the Great Hall, alone." Anne nodded and smiled softly, as Katy exited her chambers. Katy walked quietly; unsure what Richard had planned. His behavior was extremely out of character and her heart raced with every step.

Richard stood alone at the opposite end of the hall. He shone in sun with his gold doublet. His black curly hair was the only thing dark about him. His eyes filled with joy and awe as Katy slowly approached him. The large doors shut behind her.

"You are a feast for the eyes," he commented, breathlessly looking over her. Katy turned bright red and smiled at him. "I have something for you, from my brother." Richard handed Katy the sealed parchment and she lightly snapped the red wax.

Lady Kathryn of Kildare,

You have proven yourself time and again loyal to my crown. Everything you have done has not gone unnoticed. You have continually stood by me and Richard, even when it seemed that you may never formally become his wife. I have asked a great deal of you, and feel it is time you are rewarded.

Katy paused and looked at Richard, tears forming in her eyes. He said nothing but urged her to read on with his eyes. She looked back upon her letter:

It is my wish, that you join my family through my brother, Richard, Duke of Gloucester. That you marry before God immediately.

Edward, King of England

Richard rushed to her side, as tears poured from her eyes. He cradled her in his arms and kissed her forehead, whispering words she could not hear through her crying. He stroked her hair lightly and played with her fingers.

"We must go to the cathedral. The bishop is going to meet us. I have also sent Anne and Francis as our witnesses."

"This does not feel real," Katy whispered as Richard took her hand and led her outside to the horses. He kissed her passionately, quickly helping her onto Morgan. She rode away, watching Sudeley disappear in the background. For when she returned, she would no longer be a ward or betrothed, she would be the Duchess of Gloucester, wife to Richard Plantagenet.