Chapter Eleven

Katy, Elizabeth, and Anne watched walked slowly through the gardens. The men practiced fighting in the open field next to them. Thomas cut his sword through the cold air. Even George was enjoying the sport, though Katy could see he was using it to take his anger out. Lord Warwick spoke softly with his wife, daughters, and Duchess Cecily across the field.

"Men will be men," Anne laughed through the clinking of metal. She watched Francis carefully, who spared with Edward. The two moved in sync, matching each other's moves. They spoke to each other, though inaudible to the women. George stood in silence off to the side as Richard and Thomas began their battle. "You're awfully quiet today, Katy," Anne commented.

"To be quite honest, I do not have much to say." Richard and Thomas taunted each other, Katy never taking her eyes off of him. "Do you ever worry they will go to war?"

"Always," Elizabeth commented immediately. "England is secure with Edward on the throne, though." Richard quickly disarmed Thomas and laughed.

"Come on now, brother. Do not go easy on me," he taunted. Thomas picked up his sword and rushed Richard, smirking as the blades touched.

"You are not my brother, yet," Thomas spoke clearly, pushing Richard's blade away. The two continued as the women walked again.

"A summer wedding sounds lovely. It will be an incredible time."

"It seems like an eternity, Madam. Though I am still in shock of the news." Elizabeth smiled and looked ahead.

"My wedding was small and simple, but yours will not be. Edward wants the kingdom to know he has the full support of Ireland. And in no time, you will be having sons."

"You as well, madam," Anne added in, showing her support for the young queen. Anne had a difficult time with her family there. She was torn, wanting to support Elizabeth yet remain loyal to her uncle. Isabel stole Anne away from Katy any chance she got. Their rivalry was growing, especially with Katy's royal favor increasing. The new betrothal did not sit well with her, as it was supposed to be her and her sister marrying the royal dukes. Thomas quickly ran to Katy, Elizabeth, and Anne. He bowed and kissed the queen's hand.

"Your grace, with your permission, I should like to steal my sister. Show everyone what my father taught her back home."

"And what would that be?"

"To command." Elizabeth raised an eye. "It is worth a watch."

"Why of course, Sir Thomas." Thomas put his arm around Katy's waist and walked her towards the men.

"What are you doing?" Katy growled between clenched teeth, "Mother said..."

"Mother is not here. Settle my wager. It will be easy. All I need you to do beat George."

"In what?" Richard walked Morgan to her, smiling smugly.

"Shooting," Edward spoke bluntly, as Elizabeth stood next to him. Richard helped Katy onto Morgan and handed her the bow with a quiver of arrows. "George has none of Richards chivalry, Katy. And he does not like to lose." George rode next to her on his dapple-grey stallion, remaining silent. "It's very simple, three arrows and three targets."

"All three while riding?" Katy questioned as Morgan shifted beneath her.

"Of course, Lady Kathryn." George spoke swiftly, moving into position. George surrounded himself with different energy. Katy had played this game tens of times since coming to Sudeley, yet this one felt more serious.

"May I speak plainly?" Katy questioned, as Morgan stood oddly still.

"You may," Edward responded.