Chapter Thirty-Eight

May 2, 1471

"I am nervous," Katy whispered, walking to the large Abbey. She felt weak and queasy with each step. "This was foolish," she confided in John, walking ahead of him.

"Think of how she feels. You have bested her in every way. She is a fool for summoning you."

"Margaret of Anjou is anything but a fool. She is cunning and will not hesitate to bring us into her custody. We will trust nothing spoken to us. We may now ensure her freedom should she fail."

"His Grace would not have asked for me to accompany you if he did not trust you in my care and keeping," John whispered. The large doors to the hall opened and Katy forgot how to breathe. She did not notice anyone, instead focusing on the deep blue eyes piercing her soul. Somerset seemed just as uncomfortable with her sudden presence. She wanted to hit him; show him the pain he had caused her in her marriage. Make it known she would never be his, she belonged only to herself, perhaps to Richard.

"Do you not bow to your Queen and Prince?" A familiar voice called. Katy turned away from Edmund and looked into Margaret's eyes. Her face was stone cold, and she showed no emotion. Katy remained silent, unsure how to respond. "Lady Kathryn?" Her French voice called.

"Perhaps she has gone deaf," Prince Edward sneered. He approached Margaret and whispered into her ear. She patted his arm, eyes never leaving Katy.

"I should like to pray," Katy called, standing tall against her adversaries.

"You will address us properly," Edward advised, approaching Katy. John moved in front of him, stopping him from moving closer.

"I recognize no one other than King Edward and his Queen, Elizabeth. As such you will receive no formal addresses or acts of loyalty from me." Prince Edward clenched his jaw and his fists.

"Lady Kathryn," he began.

"I am her Grace, the Duchess of Gloucester. You may address me as such." He turned back to his mother, unsure how to proper ensure Katy did his bidding. Much to Katy's surprise, Margaret did not move or show any signs of emotion. Perhaps because in that moment, she saw a younger version of herself in the duchess. Had Edward asked from her to lower herself, she would've refused him. Katy knew Margaret was scheming, she could see the old Queen weighing out different situations. "Should you wish to find me, I will be in prayer." Katy turned to leave when the young prince dug his hand into her arm.

"You will leave when I please, your Grace. For I am not finished with you." Katy hit his hand away, taking a step towards him.

"Do not lay a hand on me again! I am a royal duchess!"

"And I am Prince of Wales," he countered, taking another step towards her. "I can have you executed for speaking to me in this manner."

"I would happily die in support of my husband and brother." Margaret pushed her son back, stepping into the space between Katy and Edward. Out of the corner of her eye, John moved to keep Somerset from moving towards her.

"You are Kildare's daughter? Does he know of the kind of girl he has raised?" Katy said nothing but moved her head slowly. She moved away, crossing her arms and pointing one finger to Katy. "You should've been the girl my son married," she pondered. A small gasp filled the room, and Katy looked over to the group of women. Anne's eyes filled with betrayal and Katy solemnly looked to her. She had hardly noticed the young girl in the hall, listening to Katy argue with her husband and mother in-law. "Why had no one brought Kildare to my attention? She is young enough to have sons, no?" She addressed Somerset.