Chapter Forty

May, 1471

Richard sat up abruptly, darkness covering the room. He breathed heavily, looking down at Katy soundly sleeping next to him. He had beads of sweat streaming down his face, wiping them quickly. Her chest rose and fell with each breath and he relaxed, laying back down next to her and lightly putting his arms around her. She hummed, turning towards him and placing her face against his bare chest. His fingers ran through her thick hair and he kissed her forehead.

"Are you with child?" He whispered, slightly distressed with her potential answers.

"Let us speak of this matter tomorrow," Katy whispered. "I am quite tired."

"I don't believe I can sleep again until I know." Katy eyes fluttered opened, looking at his anxiety growing. "I have been thinking, perhaps we should not have children." He looked into her saddened eyes.

"Have you tired of me?" Katy whispered, sitting up next to him.

"No, of course not." He thought in silence and Katy's heart pounded. "I witnessed a man lose his wife in childbirth in Flanders, she and the child did not survive."

"Richard-"

"I cannot risk losing you again. I would rather have you and no heir. And now I have this recurrent night terror of yours and our child's funeral. That I am left alone, for Edward cannot come as he is King. George is missing from it."

"Do not burden yourself with such stress!" Katy threw her arms around his neck, kissing his temple. "My mother and sister both have experienced easy births. You must have an heir, a small duke. You would not deprive me of motherhood, would you?"

"I could never forgive myself if I led to your death."

"You will not! I promise you; we will watch our children and grandchildren grow old." Katy lay down in the soft bedding, Richard still watching over her. She sighed, "I do not believe I am with child, however, it is too early to know. Margaret must think so because I told her son I was." Richard chuckled and lay next to her again. "Did you kill him?"

"He died honorably in battle," Richard yawned. "You mustn't burden yourself with that information." Katy lay in silence, putting her head on chest again.

"I know you dragged Somerset from sanctuary and held him for Edward." Richard laughed again, moving his hand behind his neck and lightly caressing Katy's back with his free one.

"Does that worry you? That I am able to do such a thing?"

"No. He committed treason. You do what must be done." Katy yawned, turning onto her stomach, facing him. "I don't want you to go again," Katy lightly traced the grooves in his arm.

"I will not."

~~

"Do they always act in such a manner?" Anne Neville whispered to Anne Lovell. "It is quite informal."

"You have much to learn, cousin," Anne Lovell spoke back. Ahead they watched Katy and Richard tease and compete. "They have spent much time together, perhaps more than us with him when we were children. They had to find ways to make the long trips more interesting."

"Riding would be quicker and simpler," Anne commented, examining Katy's mare seeming to dance ahead. Katy's infectious laugh filled the air and Richard beamed in her joy. "He loves her. You can see from the way he looks at her." Katy looked to Richard, biting her lip but remaining silent. He raised his eyebrows and turned back to Francis.