Chapter Ten

Katy wandered the castle alone, reflecting on the changes bestowed upon her. She needed to move quickly, as her dinner would soon begin. Her anxiety grew the more she imagined what could go wrong. She had survived the first surprise, but just barely. With her future solidified, she felt more pressure to prove herself to Richard's family. Thomas opened the door and slid inside.

"Have you met Duchess Cecily?" He asked casually, looking out over the gardens. Katy rifled through her dresses, planning what she would wear in the days to come.

"No, but I have heard the stories." Duchess Cecily was Richard's mother, and extremely tough to please. She had not taken a liking to the Queen, that much was obvious. Tonight would be Katy's first interaction with her. Thomas, luckily, had gotten to understand the Duchess well in his travels.

"You should do your best to show why you are a good match, explain the support you can give the King. Do not question anything she says to you. You may already not be in her favor."

"How? She has never met me," Katy questioned, spinning suddenly to face her brother. Thomas now sat comfortably in a chair.

"George is her favorite. He has now been spurned in favor of Richard. Now tell me, how do you think George is taking the news?" Katy said nothing in response.

"Not well," Richard suddenly chimed in. She had been so focused on Thomas she hadn't noticed him enter. "I assume you speak of how my mother will react to our betrothal? Edward is speaking to her about it now. He does not wish for her to have any surprises."

"And if she does not like me?"

"She will, but you must be patient with her. She does not wish anyone ill." He took Katy's hand, "But you also mustn't give her the opportunity to tear you down. She is rather good at that," he laughed. "Come now, it is time." Richard wore deep red, contrasting the purple Katy stayed in. Thomas trailed behind them, giving them space.

"Does Lord Warwick know?" Katy asked softly, looking up at Richard.

"I don't believe so," he assured her.

"His daughters have not found me in their favor," she laughed quietly. "I can only assume he feels the same."

"Lord Warwick is not nearly as bad as you've been told. I was his ward for many years after my father died. He wants the best for England, and everything that has been done wouldn't have been possible without his guidance."

"You hold him close to you heart," Katy commented. Richard smiled and looked away from Katy.

"I have not had a chance to tell you this, but he had wanted Anne to marry me. And Isabel marry George. Edward turned him down, on Elizabeth's bidding, even after he brought in the old King Henry. He is the reason Edward was able to secure his throne and England, and he does want to be compensated with more. Edward simply gifted him more land. Edward does worry about a Lancastrian threat in Ireland. Our marriage should show his devotion to uniting his people and fair treatment of subjects." Richard squeezed her hand as they entered the dinning hall. Katy was taken aback by how empty the room was. Duchess Cecily sat at the head of the table in a large black chair. Richard too seemed shocked by the lack of people.

"Lady Fitzgerald," the Duchess motioned for her to approach. Katy moved slowly, holding her breath. Richard didn't leave her side, ensuring Katy didn't faint. Katy curtseyed, slowly.

"Your Grace, it is truly a pleasure to meet you. I have heard amazing stories from your son."

"My son, George, is refusing to exit his rooms because of you. He feels as if you have caused his bothers to betray him." Katy straightened herself and looked at the duchess in the eyes.