Chapter Nine

Light flooded into Katy's eyes and she sat up abruptly. The light burned her eyes and she crawled back under her blankets. Her head pounded and her body felt bruised and overworked. She curled into a ball and tried to sleep more, feeling extremely ill. A door opened quietly, and a body sat on the bed. The blanket slowly was removed from her.

"I feel ill, Anne." Anne had a sweet presence and soft touch. She was too kind for her own good. Katy learned to pick up on it when she entered a room.

"I drew you a bath, that should help. But we must get you ready. The Queen is due to arrive soon." Katy stood up slowly, feeling uneasy, and blinked slowly. Katy stepped slowly into the hot water and let herself seep in it. "Might I suggest purple today? After all it is still the advent season."

"Anne, I don't remember coming back to my chambers," Katy whispered, realizing the error in her ways. She looked forward, blankly staring at the wall. "I know we played cards, then nothing."

"What do you mean?" Anne commented concerned. "How do you feel?" Katy noticed some bruising on her arm. "There was a guard, outside before I entered." Anne left quickly and Katy looked at her knees, which were slightly purple. Her hip also throbbed in the hot water. Anne ran back into the room and gasped at the bruising. "Katy..."

"You cannot say anything. We do not know what happened."

"Do you feel any pain?" Anne spoke concerned. Katy knew why she asked.

"Not there," Katy whispered. Anne sighed from relief.

"Richard sent the guard. He was concerned for your safety. He was instructed to keep everyone out of your chambers until morning. He says no one exited or entered."

"I need to speak with Richard." Anne rushed from the room. Katy stepped out of the water and quickly brushed her hair. She stepped into the light purple skirt and tied herself in. Luckily, this bodice tied in the front and she was able to finish dressing before the door flew open.

"Where is she?" Richard's panicked voice filled the air. Katy walked into her main room and Richard rushed to her. His arms engulfed her, and he kissed her forehead lightly. "Are you alright?"

"I-I do not remember retiring to my chambers. I remember playing cards," she paused as other details came back to her. "And you guessed my lie. But then nothing."

"Are you hurt?"

"Slightly bruised, but not hurt." He sighed of relief and sat down.

"George kept yours and Edward's cups full. It was after you danced, I ask the guard to stand at your room."

"Danced? There was dancing?"

"You taught Edward some dances. He quite enjoyed them," Richard chuckled. "One you had promised to teach Lizzie, and she had shown him her version of it. You were actually good." Katy buried her face in her hands.

"When did you know?"

"When you fell...Edward threw you over his shoulder and took you to your chambers. I wanted to help, but was told it would be better if I did not." Katy said nothing and looked at the ground. "You should eat," he whispered. "The Queen's arrival is soon and I expect she will want to see you immediately." He stood up slowly and walked to the door, "You'll feel better." Katy followed him in silence.

"Good morning, Katy," Francis spoke delicately, smiling softly. "Was Anne with you?" Anne followed behind her. "Ah, I found her." He kissed her softly. Richard remained quiet, and Katy soon noticed why. Edward and George had turned the corner.

"Katy! Richard!" Edward laughed. George stayed back as the eldest brother walked quickly towards them.

"Good morning, your Grace," she spoke clearly while curtseying to him.