Chapter Fifty-Three

"My Lord Bedford," Katy whispered, touching his shoulder. "Please." Jasper looked over the girl he had come to enjoy. Her hair the same shade of red, and her loving dark eyes scanning the room before her. The only difference was she looked older than in his memories.

"Dowager Duchess," he brushed her off and walked away, though he did not want to. "He has made his decision."

"Jasper," she whispered moving quickly to match his pace. "You have his ear. My boy is no threat to Henry."

"He is King now. Your boy is the son of Richard. He and George's son would be the Yorkist heirs. You must understand that Katy." She said nothing, standing still as he walked. Jasper dropped his head and turned back to her. "It has been years; you should think of marriage." She looked to him, trying to hold back tears. "Perhaps your marriage will show our King your commitment to his reign. It may save your son." She stayed quiet, biting her lip.

"I never expected him to lose. I never expected him to be taken. I never..."

"Expected him to perish before you? You have no idea how hard I fought to keep that fate from you. They wanted you on that scaffold with him." He grabbed her arm, pulling her to the side and whispered harshly, "You were to be named a traitor. Your head to be taken before his. Many wanted to watch him to suffer as he watched you." Her stomach churned and she dropped her gaze. "I am the sole supporter of you in this court, but I cannot keep his son safe."

"John is mine as much as he is Richard's," she pleaded. "You're the only one I trust." He shook his head, looking down.

"Marry yourself off to a good man, retreat into the country, and live peacefully. Do not trouble yourself with court any longer." And with that, he left, leaving Katy alone and attempting to hold back tears.

Jasper walked into the great hall, watching the scene unfold before him. No one noticed him in the back, and he held his breath.

"She would be ashamed of you, Lizzie. We are cousins and she loved you. And now you do her the disservice of locking away her son!" John of Gloucester struggled as guards held him steady. Henry remained quiet, watching his wife carefully. Jasper finally saw so much of Katy in him as he fought against Henry's men, his men.

"I will do anything for my children, as she would have for you and Catherine."

"Then you would know, I never want to be King! I only wish for my father's title to be returned to me and for my parent's marriage to be redeclared legitimate! As you know it is," he growled. "You are playing into his lies! On what grounds is their marriage illegitimate? Perhaps the same that my father declared yours?"

"I could have your head for such an accusation!" Lizzie screamed back to him.

"My mother was a virgin when she married my father. Somerset attempted to dissolve a valid marriage. One even the Pope wouldn't comment on." Henry flicked his wrist and John was dragged from before them. "She will never forgive you!" He called. Lizzie stood tall next to her husband, listening to his cries.

"No, no, no! My boy!" Katy cried in agony, though she was nowhere to be seen. Jasper's eyes shot open. He was covered in sweat and breathed heavily. His mind was clouded with her, and now he understood why. She was in agony over what was to come. He held his head in his hands and sighed.

"I am sorry. There is nothing I can do." It was Katy's final grasp at trying to ensure her son's safety, and she had failed.

~~