Chapter 5.

Brown curly hair, black eyes and coloured skin, that's me, a girl with a tiny body from bony to inches of improvement, I'm mixed race with my mom black and my dad Caucasian.

I was always a slender but never bigger, only got smaller until my bones showed, all because of me being locked up in a cage and almost, and I mean almost reaching a place of no return.

Things happen and people change, well it depends on what form of change it is, whether it's good or bad, drastic or over exaggerated and if it's deadly or not. In my life, I've had good things happen in my life but only a few, most of the things had either been bad or negative. It was usually caused by the people who came into my life, took whatever they wanted and left me to put myself back together again.

Things would seem okay for a while and I'd reach that moment of hope, for my life to turn out good, but fate had other plans for me when it was no more people harming me, but it was me doing that. I was now the one harming myself unknowingly, until my eyes opened up almost too late and I found myself fighting for my life in a hospital.

I take a breath, preparing myself for when I see my mom. I don't know why though, but something doesn't feel quite right, it's as if something unexpected is going to happen and boy oh boy am I right, when something makes me hault in my step, well more like someone who I never thought I would ever see again. Luke.

~ Flashback ~ ( 2 years ago)

We sat at the back of Luke's truck, staring out at the ocean and taking in the silence that stretched between us. It had not been a bad day, well for me, who had to face the kids at school and be under their snarky comments, threatening glares, pranks being played on me, being made fun of ,oh you know the usual bullying.

It got easier with Luke around, no one dared to come near me unless they were too dumb to even try. Luke was the star of the school's baseball and ice hockey team, he just was too good and attractive. Girls were after him while guys secretly envied him but they liked him too, even then he still preferred to have me around then anyone else. We were close friends and I secretly and truly liked him, a lot.

" A couple of girls believe that our friendship is not healthy, that I'm not a good influence on you and your future." I told him.

" That's bull, they know nothing." He said gruffly.

I never dared look at him, even though I could feel his eyes on me, I guess I was too afraid to see his reaction and judging from the tone of his voice, I would bet that he was unhappy.

" Maybe they do know a little something."

I peered my eyes at him from behind my hair. He quirked his brow at me as if in question, so I took that as him telling me to continue, so I continued.

" I'm messed up, I know it and they know it. Maybe deep down you - "

Before I could finish , I was cut off when he turned to face me and cupped my face. He had this determined look flashing in his eyes, making me want to squirm back.

" You are not messed up or are what any of those haters are calling you, listen and listen to me good, you are just going through stuff right now and it may take some time to get over , but you know what?"

" What?" I asked in almost a whisper.

" No matter what , I'll always be here right by your side." He said strongly.

" You promise?" I asked in a quiet tone.

" I promise." He shot me a smile which was only reserved for me and with that I smiled back , he pulled me to his arms and held me close where my arms went around his waist.

With his word, I relaxed and totally and fully believed his word.

~ the next night~

Flashes of bright lights blinded me while I could feel myself being wheeled away, frantic voices sounded all around me while my vision got blurry.

" Please save my daughter!" I could hear my mom say in between sobs.

She sounded so distraught that I wanted to comfort her , but I couldn't because my body weight felt heavy and painful , I couldn't even let out a sound , a way of telling them to get Luke for me. Speaking of Luke, where was he?

Where was Luke?

" Luke." My voice croaked.

That's all that came out of my lips until I finally gave up and let the dark overthrow me.

~ End of Flashback~

Our eyes locked for a minute or so, with nothing being said or being done, we were just frozen in our positions, with me standing still, close to the door while he sat on the edge of his seat. I just didn't know what to do, not that I actually knew what I would say back then while thinking of his return.

Would I be mad , cry or run to his arms?

Those were the questions that were constantly playing in my mind back then, but now here I am, in the same room with Luke and actually seeing him here, in the flesh and all I'm doing is just looking at him.

I watch as he starts rising from his seat until he is stood on his feet. I watch his eyes scan me from my feet to my face and I swear that I want to disappear right now.

" Bea." That's all he says, more like breathes out and that's all it takes for me to spin around, so I can get out of here.

Unfortunately for me, I don't get far when I feel a hand on my wrist, totally preventing me from doing anything.

The contact, I know it so well. It's the same contact that has made me feel safe from those who have hurt me, that has comforted me in my times of need and has given me a sense of hope for a better tomorrow. Even then, I can't let slip the fact that one day, in time of my most need, there was no contact except the sound of machines beaping, the doctor filling fluids in my system and having to face my mother's tear stricken and exhausted face. Atleast she was there and others, but not Luke.

" Bea, please." He sighs , almost sounding defeated.

I would have felt a twinge of guilt but not now when panick is seeping in.

As a response, I pull my hand back and bolt out of there, with out looking back.

I find myself now running yet don't get too far when I crash into a wall, more like a hard chest. I stumble back in shock and before I can lose my footing and fall, I feel hands on my arms, where they prevent me from falling.

" Hey, hey." I hear someone say.

Wait, I know that voice.

I look up and my eyes meet a pair of emereld green eyes , filled with concern as they take in my state.

" Are you okay?" He asks me.

With the answer at the tip of my tongue, we hear footsteps coming towards us.

" Bea ?" Vicky calls out and just like that , the trance I was just in breaks and I step away from him, where his hands fall limply on his sides.

Watching his face, it's got some weird expression which I can't even figure out, more like disappointment.

I don't get to ponder on it when an arm wraps around my shoulders and now I'm moving past him. With another look over Vicky's shoulders, I see him still standing there looking at me, I don't take my eyes off of him until Vicky and I round a corner and with that, I never see him again.

*********************************

So this chapter gives us a glimpse of her past and I hope you now get the full picture or understanding of why she is at that center.

Well I hope you are still enjoying.

Tell me what you think.