Meeting the Heathers

I woke up in the morning on my first day in Ohio and the first thing I did was pull out my journal and write.

Dear Diary,

  Today is my first day in Ohio, and I'm already starting at a new school called Westerburg. I'm kind of nervous because what if there is a Plastic like group there. If there is, would they treat people like crap like the Plastics did at North Shore?  Whatever, that's a topic for later.

Love, 

       Janis.

Anyway, I left my house for Westerburg High and so when I got there I waited in the schoolyard until the school bell rings. When I got there the first people I saw were 4 girls, in color coded blazers and mini skirts. There was a red one, blue one, green one, and yellow one. I was interested in their unusual outfits and so I went up to them and tried to start a conversation.

"Um, hey. I'm, uh, new here. It's my first day," I said nervously.

"Oh really?" Asked the red one.

"Um, yeah," I said.

"Well isn't that so very," The red one replied.

"Um, so very what?" I asked.

"Just so very," Said the red one.

"Yeah, it's Heather's catchphrase," said the yellow one.

"Yeah, she says it  way too-" The green one got cut off by the red one.

"Shut up Heather!" Said the red one.

"Sorry Heather!" Said the green one.

"Wait, which one of you is Heather?" I asked.

"Both of us, and so is she. You got a problem with that?" asked the green one rudely, gesturing to the yellow one.

"Oh, uh, no," I said.

"I'm Heather McNamara, and that's Heather Duke," Said the yellow Heather gesturing to the green Heather. 

"And I'm Heather Chandler," said the red Heather.

"So are you a Heather too?"  I asked the blue one.

"No, I'm a Veronica," she said, "Sawyer," 

"Okay, if it's ok with you, I'm gonna call you guys Duke, Chandler, and McNamara," I said.

"Ok, whatever," said Duke.

"It sounds fine," said Chandler with no emotion in her voice.

"Fine by me," said McNamara energetically.

"My name still isn't Heather so you can call me Veronica," said Veronica.

"I'm Janis. Janis Sarkisian," I said, holding up my hand for Chandler to shake.

"How very," said Chandler, pushing down my hand.

"Well, anyway, what's with the coordinated outfits?" I asked.

"Chandler, why don't you explain," said McNamara.

"Gee, thanks Heather," said Chandler, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Your welcome!" said McNamara brightly.

"That was sarcasm," said Chandler.

"Oh," said McNamara blankly. I chuckled.

"Anyway, on with the explanation. If you wear a color coded blazer and a miniskirt it symbolizes you being a Heather," Chandler explained.

"But Veronica's wearing that and her name isn't Heather. How does that work?" I asked.

"Well, we named our group the Heathers before Veronica joined because back then, we were actually all named Heather," McNamara explained.

"Well, okay, but what exactly is the Heathers," I asked.

"Well, the only way I can think of to put it is that we're the most popular girls at school," said Veronica.

"Oh... so the clothes are basically something that says 'I'm a Heather! Don't mess with me!'" I said. What I thought was So these are the Westerburg version of the Plastics. The 'Heathers'.

"Yeah, pretty much," said McNamara.

"You have a lot of potential, Janis," said Chandler, somewhat sarcastically. 

"Umm, thank you?" I said, unsure.

After a long silence Chandler spoke up, "Heather's huddle up!" She said. I watched as the "Heathers" all got in a huddle and started whispering to each other. After a few minutes of whispering they all got out of the huddle. 

Chandler was the first to speak, "Janis."

"What?" I asked. Chandler was about to answer but the school bell rang. 

"I'll tell you after class!" Chandler said as she rushed into the building followed by the rest of the Heathers and then followed by me.