FOUR

I danced around my living room to the music that was blaring through my speaker system. I walked up the stairs and opened Aaron's closet. I grabbed all of his clothes that were hanging and I pulled them down. I jogged down the stairs, opened the front door with my heel, and threw the clothes out into the rain and mud.

I grinned and wiped my hands off, that act alone made me feel a hundred times better. I walked back into my house and shut the door. I pulled out one of the paint cans and a paint brush and got to work on changing the colour of the living room from a peeling, light blue to a light grey-brown. I allowed myself to sing while I painted, I continued to dance around even though it made my productivity rate slower.

I heard a knock on the door so I turned to walk over with the paint brush was still in my hand. I opened the door to see Carlisle stand with his hands clasped together in front of him and a smile on his face. "Hey!" I smiled and pulled him gently into my house. I went back to painting while I waited for him to speak. He picked up a spare paint brush, dipped it in the paint, and started working next to me.

A song by Gente de Zona took over my sound system and Carlisle looked over to me, "You're not from this country, are you?" He had also drawn clues from my vernacular and slight accent.

I shook my head, "Born and raised in Spain. My maiden name is Garcia."

He nodded, "How are you doing today, Ms Garcia?"

"Pretty great, I threw all of Aaron's crap out. I'm finally getting a fresh start," I smiled and continued to dance slightly. His hand that he was using to paint came closer to mine and I accidentally ran my paintbrush over a couple of his fingers. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry," I squinted and turned my face, I tensed my body for what I was conditioned to think was coming.

"Jessamine," Carlisle called, I still didn't open my eyes. He gently placed his hand on my cheek and turned my face to meet his. When I finally opened my eyes, I met with his that held so much sorrow. I sighed, covered my face with my hands, and leant against his chest.

"When am I going to stop living in fear?" I let a few tears fall.

"It will take time, but you will get there," Carlisle soothed and rubbed my back.

The doorbell rang so I walked over to retrieve it while Carlisle continued to paint. I opened the door and gasped slightly. Aaron stood, trembling with anger, on the front porch. He pushed me inside and his hand came across my face with so much force, it knocked me to the ground. "You stupid bitch," he spat.

Carlisle ran into the front hallway, "Get out."

"Who the fuck are you?" Aaron slurred.

"I said get out," Carlisle repeated himself. Aaron stumbled backwards before walking out of the door and mumbling a slew of curse words. Carlisle helped me stand, he wiped the tears away and inspected the place where Aaron had smacked me.

"It'll turn purple tonight and then be gone tomorrow," I mumbled.

"I'm so sorry, Jessamine," he apologised.

"For what?" I asked.

"I should have walked out sooner."

"It's not your fault, Aaron is an ass. I thought he was supposed to be in jail?"

"He must have paid off his bail, I'm so sorry Jessamine."

"I can't stay here," I decided and walked over to one of the drawers in the kitchen, lifted the bottom and pulled out a stack of money. "I've got to find somewhere to go, I can't stay here, he'll come back." I walked up the stairs and shoved a bunch of clothes into a duffle bag along with a few toiletries and the money.

"Do you have family you could stay with?" Carlisle asked me as I zipped the bag up and threw it on my shoulder.

"I lived in the foster care system my whole life, I don't have anyone," I jogged down the stairs and pulled a faux electrical socket off of the wall to retrieve a set of car keys.

I then cleaned the paint brushes in the sink and then set them out to dry, I closed the paint can with my boot and then I scrambled for around looking for my house keys. My hands trembled as attempted to lock the door after Carlisle and I walked out of the house. He gently took the keys from me and locked up the house.

"I don't know where to go," I froze mid stride.

"Come stay with me, we have spare bedrooms," he offered.

"I don't want to intrude on you and your family."

"You wouldn't be, Jessamine."

"Are you sure? Or are you just saying that?"

He took my hands gently, "You should come stay with me."

"Okay," I nodded after consideration. I walked over to my car and lifted off the top sheet that was covering it. I smiled at my 67 Camero, I had style and freedom before I married Aaron. I leant in and popped the trunk so that I could place my bag in the back. Once I returned to the front of my car, Carlisle instructed me to follow him, and I did.

On the drive to his home, we passed over a bridge that had water running underneath it. I stopped my car on the side of the road, he noticed and pulled over. I left my car running and the door open as I ran to the side of the bridge and aggressively removed my wedding rings. I took them in my hand, looked them over for a split second, and threw them into the water below.