SEVENTEEN

I sat in the corner of the tent that had been pitched high up on the mountain as we waited for the night to pass so that we could be safe from the army of newborns coming for us. I wasn't able to fall asleep, it had nothing to do with the cold as I was wrapped in blankets and jackets; temperature-wise, I was quite content.

Bella, on the other hand, had been shivering the entire night. Edward sat on the opposite side of the tent, as far away from Bella as he could manage without being outside of the actual tent so that his temperature would not influence the situation. Nothing seemed to help, however, and Edward spent the majority of the night apologising over and over.

The zipper of the tent moved and Jacob came inside, "I can't sleep with all of this teeth chattering."

"Absolutely not," Edward spat, I looked at the two boys with confusion across my face.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"She's going to need her toes someday," Jacob ignored me and spoke to Edward.

Edward gave a death glare to Jacob and the two grew defensive, "Someone tell me what's going on," I instructed.

"He wants to lay with her," Edward spat.

"She'll freeze if I don't," Jacob responded.

"Here, Jacob keep your thoughts to yourself and don't act like a toddler. Edward, he's got a point, she'll be better off with the warmth," I suggested.

Jacob laid behind Bella and her shivering subsided quickly, "You'd get warmer faster if you took your clothes off. Survival 101," Jacob smirked.

"You're ridiculous," I spat.

Everyone waited for Bella to fall asleep. I checked my phone and noticed a few texts from Carlisle, I answered them and decided that I would spend the entirety of the next day sleeping after we returned home from the fight.

"I'm better for her than you are," Jacob stated, "She won't die if she's with me," Bella was asleep by the time he had said this.

"I know you are," Edward replied, my gaze was ripped away from my phone and I looked at him with such confusion. "I'm too selfish to leave her."

"She'll die being with you," Jacob spat.

"I don't want that. She wants that, I never wanted it," Edward explains.

"Why don't you leave her, then?" Jacob asked.

"Because I love her," Edward stated, "and she loves me."

"She loves me, too," Jacob said.

"I know that," Edward nodded.

"So you have it, too, that crazy jealousy?" Jacob asked.

"Yes, but I'm not so much of a fool that I wear it on my sleeve," Edward scoffed. "It does not benefit you, you know."

"It may," Jacob smirked.

"Of course, your claim to be upset all of the time. You use that."

"She takes it."

"I'm not so sure about that."

That seemed to quiet Jacob down, he started to doze off and he eventually fell asleep. I continued to play with my phone as I had a case that would charge it. I looked at the letters I had for online scrabble and looked at the computerised board.

"Play 'gore' to the very left using the 'e' in 'jute'," Edward spoke.

I laughed quietly, "Thanks. Hey, are you all right?"