NINETEEN

I finished a glass of gin and tonic at a bar and then gave the bartender money for my tab. I turned to my coworker, Stephanie, and smiled. "I'm going to head home, have a good night."

"Call a cab, you're slurring," Stephanie giggled.

"Am not," I argued.

"Are too," she pushed, "walk in a straight line." I stood up out of my bar seat and did as I was told. "Touch both of your index fingers to your nose," she prompted.

I did as I was told, yet again. "I'm fine, I promise," I argued.

"Fine, but as soon as you get home, text me and let me know you made it there safely."

"I will, I will."

"Goodnight," she smiled.

"Night, Steph," I waved and walked out of the bar.

I was a mere ten minutes from Carlisle's home, I was still staying there and at this point, there was no need to move back to my own house. I drove through the winding road that wove through thick trees and over a river. By the time I had seen the house in the distance, I was seeing double.

I parked my car on the side of the drive as I wouldn't be able to manoeuvre it into the garage in my intoxicated state and I walked out with my work bag over my shoulder. I slipped off my heels at the front door and carried them up the stairs with me- it took me a full five minutes to climb up the staircase.

I saw Emmett first, he arched his brow when he saw me walking. "I know I'm walking weird, or at least I think I'm walking weird, I'm not that drunk," I physically pointed to him and nearly stumbled in my place.

Emmett released a loud chuckle, "Do you need help getting up the next staircase?"

"I'll tackle that obstacle in a minute," I breathed. I placed my bag on the table beside the garage door and my shoes underneath. "For now, I just need to sit. Just for a minute," I nodded and curled up into a ball on the couch.

I drifted off quickly after that. I always fell asleep after I drank. Something about drinking made me physically and mentally exhausted, every single time. It got annoying, I couldn't drink in the middle of events or I'd fall asleep while driving home. The only alcohol I'd managed to drink without feeling tired afterwards was champagne, and that was because I couldn't finish the whole flute.

The next time I was conscious, I was resting in bed with the blankets kicked towards my feet and something cold underneath me. I quickly came to understand that the cold was radiating from Carlisle and I was in his bed. I shifted around and stretched before I looked up at him, he was buried deep in a medical journal, his eyes moved quickly across the pages; they held a deep interest.

He placed the book down once he noticed I was awake. "How are you feeling?" He asked.

"Like such a dork," I laughed, "I can't even go out with my friends for one drink without falling asleep the second I get home," I pulled the sheet up and over myself.

"Does all alcohol make you that tired?" He questioned.

"Everything that I've tried does," I nodded and stretched once more.

"That's interesting," he whispered, "That will be something to remember for the wedding."

"I can drink towards the end as long as I can sleep after two hours," I laughed.

He nodded, "Are you feeling ill?"

I shook my head, "I never get hungover. I've never had a hangover in my life- I've been drinking far longer than three years, so I have more to base it off of."

"So just tired, but no hangovers? That seems like a fair trade."

"I've always wanted a hangover, just one. Just for the experience."

"From what I've heard, they're not pleasant," Carlisle laughed. "Alice wants to take you shopping the next time that you're free. She was going to wake you, but then we all reminded her that it was late at night and you needed to sleep off the liquor."

"Honest to god, I only had one drink. I just get so tired, it's kind of ridiculous. I'm not working tomorrow, I'll mention that to her the next time I see her," I explained.

"Be aware," he warned, "She may be extravagant."

"I can keep up with extravagant. It's not my style- obviously- but I can keep up with it," I laughed.

"You might need more liquor by the time you get back home," he kissed the top of my head and then chuckled.

"I'll take a whisky neat," I joked.

"Yes ma'am," he kissed me once more.

"What time is it, do you know?"

"Two in the morning."

"Oh good lord, I'm going to try to sleep again."

"Okay, sweet dreams, darling."

"I love you."

"I love you, too, Jessamine."