ELEVEN

I flipped through patient charts at the front desk of the office as I attempted to figure out who to see next when I felt a wave of nausea come over me. I fanned myself with the files, but I quickly found myself leaning over the trash can behind the counter to throw up.

"Oh my god, Jess, are you okay?" My receptionist, Kayla, asked.

"I think so," I stood back up, walked a few paces towards the bathroom, and threw up in the next trashcan.

"I'm going to call your boyfriend," Kayla reached for the phone and started dialling his number.

I made it to my office without throwing up again, I laid on my floor behind my desk and curled up on my side. I laid there for a long time, not able to get up because of the odd tightness in my lower abdomen. After a good fifteen minutes, there was a knock on my door followed by an entrance.

"I'm dying," I groaned and attempted to laugh.

Carlisle knelt down beside me and pet my hair, "Not dying, just appendicitis."

"How in God's name did you know that?" I held the back of his hand to my forehead because the cool temperature helped.

"I've been a doctor for a long time," he chuckled.

"Fair enough," I winced, "ouch."

"Let's get you to the E.R.," he helped me stand, grab my things, and walk out of my office.

I locked up and on my way out of the clinic, I saw Abby waiting for her appointment. I tried my best to make my way over to her and I knelt down beside her. I pet her and turned my attention to her owner, "This is really just a check up appointment, I have to leave early today for other reasons. If you want, you can stay here and Dr Mark can examine her or you can come back in a week and I can do it," I continued to pet Abby.

Her owner stood, "We'll come back when you're back," she smiled.

"Goodbye, Abby, be good," I rested my forehead on hers for a moment and then Carlisle helped me stand up and walk out of the building.

"You really do love animals," he smiled as he helped me into the car.

"With animals, they're so precious and innocent. There's no, 'Oh my god why do I have to treat this convict,' because I have problems looking people in the eye and being nice to them when I know they've done some fucked up things. Like take this, for instance; I don't have to treat people like Aaron, I can just treat loyal, loving animals that haven't done a thing," I rambled.

"That seems reasonable," he nodded and started driving.

"And there's nothing like hugging a happy dog," I giggled but quickly put my hand on my abdomen and groaned.

We pulled into the hospital, the two weren't far from each other, and he pulled into his parking spot and came around the other side of the car to help me get out. We both walked up to triage and Carlisle went to check me in. Right as he started talking, I felt another wave of nausea come on and I scooted over to the side where the trash can was to throw up.

"I'm so done," I groaned.

"Come on, let's get you to a bed and get you hooked up to fluids," the triage nurse came towards me.

"One sec," I held my hand up while lingering over the trashcan and using my other hand to grip onto the counter for support. After the wave of nausea passed, I went with the nurse and Carlisle helped me walk over to a bay. "Oh no," I groaned.

"What is it?" He questioned.

"I have about 20 deficiencies and one of them causes my legs not to work all of the time, I can feel when my legs are about to go out," they did just as I finished that thought, Carlisle caught me, "Like that."

"What deficiencies do you have?" He asked as he set me down in bed.

"Let's see," I used my fingers to count, "Vitamin D, Magnesium, Vitamin B 12, Iron, K2, E, A, Iodine, Calcium. So not 20, but a lot."

He nodded in understanding and took a seat next to me, "I love you, too," he kissed my forehead.

"I'm sorry, I didn't want to say it like that, but I thought if there was even a slim chance I wouldn't be able to see you again, I wanted you to know," I looked down at my hands.

"I'm glad you told me," he took my hand and smiled at me.

"I don't want to be out of work for a week," I pouted and laughed at the same time.

"I think it'll be okay," he chuckled, "If there's anything Alice can turn into a party, she will."

"I hope by party you mean movies in my living room with pizza," I laughed.

"She'll find a way to drag you to Bella's birthday party," he reminded me.

"Oh, right! I can't believe I forgot about that," I replied.

"Considering all that's going on, I think you get a free pass," he laughed.

"Good point," I pointed to him and then another doctor came over to do an ultrasound to see if I did, in fact, have appendicitis. She lifted my shirt and saw the still-purple bruise on my abdomen, her eyes widened.

"What is that from, Ms Garcia?" She asked.

"My ex-husband," I replied truthfully.

"I'm sorry," she said before she continued to examine my abdomen. Someone called for Carlisle so he squeezed my hand for support and then left to tend to their needs. What he had magically diagnosed was correct, the woman scheduled a surgery for me later that day. I laid in bed again after changing into a hospital gown and moving to a different room.

Kayla brought over files for me so that I wouldn't get too bored. I looked through each patient's records and attempted to figure out a way to stop the spread of Abby's cancer, it was still possible to do so. Carlisle walked in a few hours later and playfully scolded me.

"You're working? You're supposed to be resting," he came towards me.

I turned the folder out towards him so that he could see the pictures, "They're my babies," I playfully pouted.

"You're about to go into surgery and you're researching," he laughed and grabbed my hand.

"I'm going to find a way to stop the spread of Abby's cancer," I attempted to sound confident, but I slurred slightly due to the amount of pain medication I was receiving.

"Is that so?" He questioned, laughing at my state.

"Did I ever tell you," I motioned for him to come closer so I could whisper, "You're so beautiful."