Chapter 1: The Strength To Smile

"Make no mistake about it. We are born blind, deaf, and mute. It is neither these eyes that give us sight, nor these ears that give us sound. It is not even these lips that give us voice. It is only love. Love makes us seek beauty and truth. Love yearns to connect. To experience. To understand. So close your eyes at once. Don't utter a word. Perk up your ears and listen to that silent sound inside you where all this is found." ― Kamand Kojouri

A woman with long, raven-black hair, laid in her bed, smiling tiredly at the small bundle sleeping peacefully in her arms. After hours of being in labour, the woman and her beloved husband had finally received their long-awaited baby girl. The doctor and nurses smiled at the small family and left them alone for privacy.

"I'm so thankful she's healthy." The woman said as she stared at her baby. "Healthy and beautiful. Just like her mother." Her husband said as he placed his hand on their child's head, soothing her to sleep with his thumb gently rubbing her head. Though it was his wife carrying her, he was so terrified of what could've happened. What if the love of his life faced complications? What if his child suffered during birth? What if both of them didn't survive? But seeing her holding their child, glowing in radiance and smiling kindly, eased his mind and put his fears to rest.

"I want her to grow up with a gentle heart." The woman said. "A good mind to match." The man added.

"I wonder what she'll grow up to be?"

"Anything she wants. She could be whatever she chooses to be. To her, the sky's the limit."

"I just want her to be happy. That's my wish for her."

"Then it's up to us to make that come true. Our little lullaby."

The woman looked up at her husband with tears in her eyes, "Do you want to hold her?" Her husband paled considerably and shook his head vigorously. "No... no, I don't think I should." He didn't believe he should even touch something so pure. "Of course you should. Don't tell me your afraid to hold your baby." She said with a sweet smile.

The man continued to get paler. "I don't want to hurt her." He said.

"You won't." she protested.

The woman could have sworn she saw her beloved begin to tremble. She'd expected him to be a little nervous, but not terrified. "I won't have her father be afraid to hold her." She said, handing the infant over.

"I'm not sure that's such a good idea. I'm not very good with fragile things and she's so little." Her husband said, trying to reason with her.

"My darling, she's a baby. Of course, she's little. She'll get bigger." She says with a giggle.

"I know that. I just don't want to accidentally hurt her." The man defends himself.

"You won't hurt her. Just remember to support the back of her neck." She says.

"Mio bellissimo amore, I don't think this is a good idea." He protests again.

The mother of his child wasn't going to be denied though. She completely ignores his continued protests and gently places their newborn daughter in his arms. The father looked at her as if she had just placed a bomb in his hands. Was she out of her mind?! What if he dropped their baby or something?!

"You'll be fine. I know you can do it. It's as easy as it can be." She reasons.

The man stared in silent fear for a few minutes. He finally gulped and carefully adjusted his arms to try and make his baby safer and comfortable as his wife smiled encouragingly at him. The baby quickly made herself at home in his arms. The woman laid back and watched her husband as his trembling began to subside and became more confident. He smiled as he looked at his daughter. He had a daughter. The most beautiful baby he'd ever seen. So tiny...so small. A gift from God above.