2

Okay y'all - I've done my extended research on both medical and firefighters by watching some scenes from Greys Anatomy, Chicago Fire, 9-1-1, Scrubs and such, So I'm going to try to make it as good as I can! 

Calum

It was a generally easy day in the hospital. Ashton, Michael and I both had ER duty today and while there's always some kind of crazy case, there really was just regular check ups today and nothing life threatening. 

I knocked on the door letting the patient know I was walking in "alright Ms. Carmedi, tests came back negative and normal so we're going to proceed with Acetaminophen every 4 hours until your pain subsides." 

"that's good news right?" 

"yup! no need to keep you overnight. It's just a bad case of a sore throat with cold symptoms. You came in on time before it turned into something bigger so the anti-inflammatory shot we gave you will work to fight it off and the acetaminophen for pain." I finished saying as I finished writing in her chart. 

"okay, thank you so much Dr. Hood!"

"Just doing the job. I'll go ahead and write up your note for a check up next week to see how your throat and symptoms are healing up. You can check what date works for you up in front in the lobby." I stood up and shook her hand giving her her medicine prescription. I opened the door for her. 

"thank you so much Dr. Hood. I'll see you next week" She said as she walked to the front lobby. 

The exit doors closed and I walked to the Doctors ER Lobby. It was only Ashton sitting down in the desk reading some file.  

"Hey Ash"

"Hey, how'd it go?" he said as he put the file down.

"usual. Cold with horrible soar throat" I said as I put my ipad down and set the files in correct bin. I sat down next to him and just rested my head against the wall. 

"we only have 12 more hours to go" he laughed as he saw my tired face.

"I'm literally tired of just sitting here."

"YOU'RE tired? mate at least you've had like 3 patients. I've had 1 trauma call in the last 12 hours.  Which in retrospect is a good thing, but I mean, I gotta keep busy somehow" he finished off as he put his file away.

I laughed at his frustration of me having at least 3 patients unlike him.

"Ash, change you're pager to general instead of trauma so you can help with whatever comes and you can do something" 

I knew the answer to this so I did my 'I'm kidding' face when he turned to look at me. We all had a role in the ER. Together with Michael we were ER TEAM #2 and we have to rotate every shift or every couple hours depending on how heavy the patient turn over was but since this was a calm shift it would be switching next shift so he was stuck in Trauma for the remainder of our 24 shift. 

"Cal I swear..." he said as he giggled and threw me a water bottle while he got one for himself and sat down in his chair again.

"Hey look at it this way, we're switching next shift. I get to be as frustrated as you, and you get to feel prideful for curing 3 people from colds and dehydration. Speaking of switching, where's Michael anyway? Why isn't he here moping around with you" 

"Miraculously got called for a consult for Doctor Bate. He should be back soon though, he's been gone for an hour." He started to swing around in his chair.

The ER doors opened and Michael walked in staring at his phone. 

"Hey Mikey" I said as he entered and sat down next to us.