11

**Chapter notes: **

Code White: Pediatric Emergency

F41.3 : Mixed Anxiety Disorder

99205: High Severity Problem (will only use 205 -- not the full code)

Alprazolam: Helps treat many kinds of anxiety disorders, including panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and social anxiety disorder.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mi--" she manages to choke out as she flings her hands to her chest and neck and stares at me with panicked eyes. 

"Shit. okay, Claire, I'm going to lay you down on the ground okay? you're going to be flat." I explained to her as maneuvered my arms to slowly lower her in a sitting position.

"Okay Claire, i'm going to touch your shoulders to lay you down okay honey? I'm not going to hurt you"

I lay her down as she's struggling to breathe.

"Slow breathes honey. slow breathes Claire. Come on." I sling my stethoscope off my neck and check her pulse and her heart beat.

Too fast.

I get up and hit the code on the wall, the speaker on the hospital floor immediately notifying staff I'm in need of assistance.

Calum POV:

I get off the elevator and motion a quick hi to Ashton as he's speaking with a patient he was currently taking to surgery. He motions a hi to me and carries on.

I get to the nurse station and take Claire's file and read over her notes. i check my watch and see it's time for her to be in her room, her physical therapy session over. I knock and get no response in return so I go in and don't see her. I check my watch to make sure I didn't just fuck up 3rd grade basic knowledge, the wonder of time telling. I walk back to the nurses station and ask the nurse if she knows where Claire is. She let me know that she hasn't come back from P/T with Michael.

"Hmm. That's weird. Thanks Patricia." I set Claire's file down and start to walk down the hall to the P/T room as a code is called.

I stop walking to hear where it's at. I'm the doctor on the floor right now so the call would belong to me.

"Code White. Code White. Floor 4. Room 415. Code White."

Fuck. That's Michael and Claire.

I head off sprinting the direction of the room as I hear the nurse staff running behind me.

I see the room and barge in.

I see Claire on the floor and Michael on the floor intubating her.

I hear Michael sigh in relief as he sees me walking in and reaching for gloves.

"What is it?" I say as I kneel next to him, analyzing the current situation and checking her pulse and heart beat.

He doesn't pry his eyes off her as he's rythm-ing the tubing bag to breathe for her so she doesn't struggle so much.

"F41.3 / 205. I need a stretcher. Intubated when oxygen level fell under 65%. Heart rate is tachy." He said as he looked up quickly to greet me.

"Can we get Alprazolam stat." I told a nurse as she nodded and ran out. I saw the the stretcher get wheeled in to the room.

"Stretchers here." I said as I positioned myself to Claire's left side to get her up on the bed.

Mikey got into a crouching position not losing Claire's breathing pattern. It's crucial to never lose that otherwise you alter the patients oxygen level and affect them instead of helping them. Also, the tube is in their air way so you can literally damage their vocal cords and break or hurt their mouth.