Chapter 3: Do You Not Like Living the [Y/N] Life?

The Operator coughed, regaining his composure. Toby only stared, wide-eyed. He had never seen the boss act this way before. It was completely out of his character.

"Uh-" Toby managed to say before The Operator roughly picked him by the cuff of his shirt and slammed him against the wall. The force of the action was so strong that Toby felt himself break a bone or two. For a moment, he became light-headed, his vision fading to black.

Disoriented, all that Toby could sense was that he was now at least 3 feet off of the ground and The Operator's grip was dangerously tight. He couldn't escape.

Toby was a mouse trapped between a snake's fangs.

In a tone filled with venom, the boss hissed, saying, "I highly advise that you not tell the others of this moment. If you do... well, I know you have a sister named Lyra Rogers and I know that you love her dearly. I also know what a shame it would be if something bad were to happen to her because of something you did."

In other situations, if anyone else tried to threaten Toby by using his sister, Toby would lash out and kill them. In fact, he was widely known for becoming a beast if someone used his sister against him. They called him "Ticky Toby" for this reason. It only took an utter of her name for him to get ticked off.

You didn't want to see him ticked off. The aftermath wasn't pretty.

However, that only happened in other situations with other people. The Operator wasn't just another person. He was deadly with lots of connections. Toby knew that and he also knew his place. So, instead of pulling out his gun and shooting the being, he merely nodded his head.

"Good," The Operator gently set Toby down, patting his back like a proud father. "You know when to follow orders. That's why I like you."

"Th-thank you, s-sir." Toby replied, shaken.

"Go downstairs and help Masky and Hoodie with the traitors if they need any. I need to make a few calls for certain people."

Toby didn't dare ask who they were although the curiosity was bubbling inside of him. Without protest, Toby walked himself outside, involuntarily releasing a breath he didn't realize he was holding.

As Toby left, the tall, scar-faced mafia boss picked up the wine he had poured himself earlier. He held the glass in his elongated fingers, admiring how the carmine liquid swirled around inside of the cup. He mused, thinking of the best way to torture a certain individual who had dared to press a gun against his little birdy's temple. A phantom of a sinister smile formed on the featureless being's face.

The atmosphere crackled with evil.

The wine in his cup reminded him of blood.

He pictured the person who tried to kill his birdy. A growl erupted from his throat.

A memory flashed in his mind.

"Slender, you get angry too easily. I think you should practice some mindfulness meditation with me."

"Why don't you just...?"

"Why don't I just what?"

"Why don't you just kiss me instead?"

He smiled as she giggled and covered her face, a sign that she was embarrassed. Oh, how he loved teasing her. She was so cute when she was like this. She reminded him of a hummingbird, small and shy but playful at the same time.

"You're so freaking cheesy." She giggled.

"Hmph," he crossed his arms in a childish manner. "I like it when you kiss me. Your lips feel like cotton candy. Why don't you plant one right here?" He pointed at a space on his cheek.