Another Filler Chapter

"Ay, wake up, dumb fuck! The IRS is here!"

Ben woke with a start, jolting awake with such force that he banged his head against the car's roof. He groaned, cradling his head in his hands before moaning out a painful "Where?"

Jeff laughed at his partner's reaction. "I was just playing around."

"Screw you," Ben retorted, annoyed. Ben knew that Jeff was aware he was running from the IRS, owing them a number greater than six figures. Long story short, in order to escape them, Ben had created more than 10 fake identities, traveled to three different countries, and had once become an engineer without prior education or experience in the field. He did all that in the span of one month and he didn't want to go to prison just yet. Not after he had just gotten out a few years back for holding an elementary school district's wifi and data for ransom.

After that, Ben was picked up by The Operator and the rest was history. He was fairly new to the whole mafia shebang but he considered himself good at his job. Excluding that one time he accidentally kidnapped his boss's ex.

"Great. Now I can't fall asleep," Ben grumped.

Jeff merely smirked and didn't reply, keeping his eyes on the road. The red indicator on his speed meter remained at a steady 80 miles per hour—25 miles higher than the legal speed limit. Usually, Jeff wouldn't drive so recklessly but the area was desolate with only the gray barriers keeping him company. So, he decided he could give himself a little play time. At least for the moment.

Outside, a crow perched themselves on a tree and cawed into the night as it watched their car pass by.

The darkness blanketed the road, only the car's head beams making a few select things visible. It made Jeff quite bored as there was nothing to do or look at, only left with the tedious task of pressing his foot down on the accelerator and making sure that neither he nor Ben would die in a car accident. It was also the reason why he had woken his partner. Driving was uninteresting and he had wanted someone else to suffer with him.

All of a sudden, a bright, blinding light flooded the road. The source of the intense brilliance seemed to come from behind the car and Jeff glared in irritation, wondering who the fuck wanted to mess with him. He took a glance at his rear view mirror to see a familiar car tailgating behind them. "Well, guess what, BEN?"

"What?"

"Someone's following us and it's not the IRS."

Ben looked at his side mirror and glimpsed a red 1969 Chevrolet Camaro. He recognized it as one of the lieutenants's car and his breath hitched. After Richard was murdered a couple of days ago, he was paranoid that he was going to be next. "Well, shit. We're both fucking screwed."

"I'm gonna pull over. See what they want," said Jeff. He flipped the hazard light on and stopped the car at the side of the road.

His hands wrapped themselves tighter around the steering wheel as the red Camaro caught up to them, their cars now side to side. The Camaro's front passenger door opened and a man that Jeff recognized as Masky climbed out. He was wearing a light tan dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows and his white mask was lifted slightly from his face, revealing a smug grin.

"Bro, is that the dude that replaced you?" asked Ben.

"Shut up. I don't want to hear it," replied Jeff. There was a bit of bad blood between Jeff and Masky due to the fact that when Jeff was demoted from one of The Operator's best captains, Masky took his rank. To Jeff, however, he preferred the term "stole". Masky stole Jeff's place and Jeff was never going to think otherwise. "He's a cocky bastard, that son of a bitch. I want to fucking slap that damn, shitty grin off his motherfucking face."