Chapter 12

"Hey, Adalia, is my mom there?" asked [Y/N] into the phone.

The day was Sunday and the time was currently 12:27 in the morning. Back in California, it was approximately 9 pm on a Saturday night.

Right now, the woman was sitting in front of her laptop, an open school planner filling the empty space between her and the computer screen.

She was sitting at her small, pastel blue kitchen table that resembled more of a tiny work desk. Right at the front of her mini, wooden workspace was a chair that matched the color of the table. This was where the young woman was sitting with her legs drawn to her chest and her feet propped up and slightly hanging off the edge of the padded seat. Using her blue pen in one hand, the woman absent-mindedly doodled imperfect circles in her planner. With the other, she held her phone against her ear.

"Hey, girl! What's up? And yeah, your mom's here," replied Adalia, her voice faint as she was a short distance away from the phone. Birdy guessed that Adalia was currently all over the place, preparing a last minute meal for herself and her friend's mother.

"Thanks for taking care of her for me, Adalia. I really appreciate it considering how busy you are," said the young lady, truly grateful for her friend's compassion.

"Girl, don't thank me—it's what friends do. Do you want me to give my phone to her so you guys can talk?"

"Yes, please."

For a while, the woman only heard silence as Adalia left to look for Birdy's mother. During the time span, the young woman realized that her once empty planner reserved for school events was now chock-full of her tiny drawings. "Dang it," she whispered, grabbing her white-out that was right next to her planner.

As she was layering over the sketched circles with white-out, Adalia had finally handed the phone over to [Y/N]'s mom, Izabella. Through the receiver, Birdy heard her mother's voice come through.

"Hola, mija. How are you doing?"

"Hola Mamá. I'm doing fine." The 24-year-old decided not to tell her about the crazy things that she had experienced in the past few days. Her mom would get a heart attack for sure. "The better question is: how are you doing?"

"Ay, mija. Don't worry about me. How is Nueva York? You should bring me over there one of these days."

"Good. It's pretty boring, though."

"Pues, limpia tu cuarto. Go clean your room if you're so bored."

"Mamá!" [Y/N] complained.

Izabella laughed at her daughter's reaction. "Are you taking care of yourself over there? Are you eating?"

"Of course," said Birdy as she drank her eighth cup of coffee and eyed the growing pile of dirty dishes in her sink. She had promised herself that she was going to wash them yesterday but she never did. She was always like that—always telling herself that she wasn't going to procrastinate anymore but still procrastinating anyway.

And it showed.

But that's okay.

"Mija, I'm proud of you. You've grown up to be such a beautiful, strong woman. Look at you, such a strong lady who's living on her own."

[Y/N] cracked a smile. Her mother rarely praised her but when she did, it was always special and the young woman cherished those moments. "Thanks, Mamá."