Filler Chapter: Death Tastes Better With Cookies~💀🍪

"Oh shit, bro. I think that's her."

BEN shoved his partner and forced him to look at the stage where a certain abductee that they failed to kidnap was hugging another certain boss of their's.

"Are you sure?" Jeffrey's lidless eyes narrowed at BEN who was slick in a green vest over a formal white buttoned up shirt. His black jeans blended well with the near pitch black environment, save for the stray disco light beams that would occasionly shine on it.

Jeffrey's constricted blue eyes were bloodshot, partly due to the alcohol from his beer but mostly due to the lack of sleep he had gotten over the past two nights. After an ominous phone call from the head honcho, Jeffrey found that he was too terrified to rest. Especially since his other partner, newly made man Richard, was found dead hours after the call, a gunshot hole penetrating cleanly through his forehead. The first one to stumble upon his corpse was his daughter, Jeff had heard. When Richard was still alive, he told him that she recently turned eight and had just celebrated her birthday last week. He had bought a special present for her, a stuffed animal, Jeff recalled.

Richard could never stop talking about his daughter. He was always talking about the things she was doing, how much he loved her and how she was his light in the dark world that he was forced to work in. He didn't want to be involved with the mafia because of his daughter but life had dealt him poor cards and he needed to find a way to make money for his kid. Richard's father had been an associate for the mafia and Richard was pressured to follow his footsteps. Richard became a made man, a soldier for the "family". Unlike his father who was merely connected to the mafia, Richard was inducted into it. After he became a part of the familly, he was able to buy everything his kid's heart desired.

'She's daddy's little girl and she knows it,' Richard described her, always with that slight grin that he reserved just for her.

It was a shame that Richard's little girl had to be the first to see his dead corpse.

'Jesus Christ,' Jeff had said underneath his breath when he first heard the news about the tragedy. 'He's heartless.'

'He' referring to The Operator. And, Jeff was right. The Operator was known for being merciless as his death toll was in the double digits and would no doubt soon hit triple.

As Jeff stared with an unblinking gaze at the scene on the stage, the call he had with The Operator came rushing back with such clarity as if it happened just yesterday. The Operator's voice rang in his mind, saying words that would haunt him forever.

'I had heard that The Hitman had assigned you to a kidnapping, correct?"

'Yes, sir.' Jeff had fought to keep a steady voice, to keep a calm facade. It was difficult, however, when he had to choose what he said with heavy caution because the person on the other end was his Three Fates, his Grim Reaper. The one who could kill him with just a few words and a single phone call.

'Meredith, I assume? The woman who had incriminating evidence that could have been used against us?'

'Yes, sir.'

'You disposed of her, I hope?'

'As you wished.'

'Good. If not, then you know what would've happened to you.'

'Of course.'

'You have already failed me once, Jeffrey Woods. I wouldn't want you to fail me again. For my sake and for yours.'

'Never again, sir.'

'You know, Jeffrey, you make for a fine actor.'

'Sir-'

'No, Jeffrey. I believe you know where I'm going with this. She was a pretty lady, wasn't she?'

Jeffrey had felt his breath hitch.

'Now, tell me the truth, Mr. Woods. For the family, admit what you've done.'

Tears pricked Jeff's eyes as he struggled to retain his composure. It suddenly became hard to swallow, the lump in his throat felt like rocks lodged inside his esophagus. 'Sir, I...'

'You've already been broken, Jeffrey. It would be a shame if I put you out of the business altogether, wouldn't it? Like a father casting out his prodigal son. So, tell me truth. Only, don't tell me you're innocent. It insults my intelligence and that makes me angry.'

'It was the rookie, boss,' Jeff admitted. He bit his tongue. He knew that he just ratted his fellow partner out. He knew it was a bad choice. He knew that it made him a rat, a snitch, a bad person but, to him, the action was justified. Jeff knew that in this world, the only person who could save your hide was yourself. For Jeffrey, the choice always came down to either him or another person that was going to face the brunt of The Operator's punishment. Jeffrey had rather it be the latter than him instead. He finally crumbled and before he could think about the consequences, he stated, 'The rookie was the one who put the gun to her head.'

'Hmm...' At that moment, Jeff knew that he was safe. He had a pass. It wasn't going to be him who had to be clipped tonight. 'If you fail me again, Jeffrey, you would wish that you had said you were the one who put a gun against Miss. [L/N]'s temple.'

'Yes, sir.'

'Tell your partner to go to sleep for me, Jeffrey. I would imagine that he could use a little rest after all that he's been through.'

'As you desire, sir.'

'Goodnight, Mr. Woods.'

Hours later, a young girl would be crying her heart out. It was ironic. She had just turned eight about a week ago and her birthday present would be living the rest of her life fatherless.

"We should get out of here," BEN said, snapping Jeff out of his deep thoughts.

"We should," agreed Jeff.

Together, they discreetly made their way out of the mansion, passing awe-struck mafiosos and gang members. They sped to a near sprint as they neared the stage that held the boss and the young woman on the 'no-harm' list. Finally, they made it out. Alive, unscathed, and breathing.

But, who knows how long it will stay that way? This was a world where funerals were more common than birthdays after all.

I bit into the last of my cookie, holding my hand up in case some crumbs came falling out. Slender and I were in his office, talking to each other and catching up on the years that we missed.

Earlier, it had been awkward trying to maintain a conversation while we were on the stage with several sets of prying eyes on us. It felt invasive and I disliked the way they gawked at us as if we were aliens from another planet. Truthfully, I hate attention in general. I can bear a normal amount but, if people try to butt into my business, it feels confining. I could tell Slender had felt the same. So, we both decided to excuse ourselves from the party and left the room.

On the way out, I had mouthed, 'best wingman ever,' to Trender and he had merely nodded his head, whispering, "I know. You better find me a boyfriend because you owe me one."