Chapter 8

When the girls got back to Applejack's, they went to confront her family, and tell them that they would need to be tested.
"Now where in tarnation have you two been?" Granny asked, looking at them suspiciously.
"The hospital granny. Ah have tuber- tuber..." AJ had to quickly look at the piece of paper she was holding to remember what exactly her condition was, "Ah have something called tuberculosis.."
      "Tuber what now?"
      "It's an illness, and you guys are gonna need to visit the doctors too sometime soon to check that you don't have it as well," Dash explained.
      "Ah don't get it?" Applebloom, AJ's younger sister, said.
      "It's like a really severe, contagious cough," Rainbow stated. Applebloom just looked even more worried, but her sister reassured her that it would be fine.
     "Oh enough with the fussin. Just drink some lemon and you'll be fine," Granny said carelessly. Applejack just rolled her eyes and beckoned to Rainbow Dash to come upstairs with her.
     AJ plonked down on her bed, followed by Rainbow Dash, who put her arm around her friend.
     "Dash ah wouldn't, ah'm still contagious. Remember, doctor says at least two weeks until the medicine starts to properly kick in," AJ sighed, taking Rainbow's hand and gently putting it back on her lap.
      "I don't care if I get ill," Dash said stubbornly.
      "Yeah well ah do care. You know how it feels. Please don't make me go through the guilt of seeing you in mah condition," Applejack smiled. Suddenly her phone started buzzing from the table next to her. Before AJ could, Dash reached over and answered it. She did her very best western accent to imitate Applejack.
Rainbow: Hello?
Sunset: Hey! Just wanted to check if everything was ok. Dash told us what happened."
      The phone was on speaker so both girls could hear it. They sniggered quietly. Sunset was fooled.
Rainbow: Yeah I —
      Applejack shook her head and pointed at herself. Rainbow cleared her throat.
Rainbow: Ah'm doing just fine thank's Sunset. How are you?"
     Both girls sniggered again.
Sunset: Well I was worried. I guess Dash over-exaggerated then?
       Dash couldn't cope any more. She started helplessly laughing, along with Applejack, who once again was helplessly coughing. Dash, still giggling, reached over to grab AJ a tissue.
       Sunset too was quietly laughing over the phone.
Sunset: Holy shit! There is no way you just tricked me. Was that seriously you speaking Dash?!
Rainbow: Yeah, yeah it was!
Applejack: Ah'm here too.
     The girls had literally thrown themselves on the floor laughing.
Applejack: Ah'm okay though Sunset, seriously. Been diagnosed with tubercul- something, but as long as ah take the medicine ah'll be fine.
Sunset: Well that's good to hear. I'll tell the others. Just call me again if you need anything. And thanks Dash, you had me fooled!
      This sent the three girls into heaps of laughter again, before they said goodbye and ended the call.
      After they calmed down, Applejack decided to ask, "So, ya still crushin' over Sunset Shimmer then?"
     Rainbow wondered how she was going to respond. Of course, it was more than just a little crush now, but not on Sunset, on Applejack. However, Dash didn't necessarily want to tell AJ that she felt a mad amount of love towards her. Not yet anyway. It wasn't the right moment. What Rainbow didn't know was that her farm-girl-best-friend felt exactly the same way.
      "Maybe I do like her, maybe I don't. What do you think AJ?" Dash asked smugly.
     "Ah dunno. Ah just feel like if ya had a proper 'crush' then y'all would act in.... a different way," AJ shrugged her shoulders.
     "You're right," Dash stated, grinning. Applejack's eyebrows raised. Rainbow continued, "Truth is, I never even liked her in the first place..."
     "So then why in tarnation did ya tell me that?"
     Rainbow just shrugged, and smiled nervously. She could feel a blush appearing on her face. AJ noticed and effortlessly took off her hat and pushed it in front of Dash's face, laughing.
     "Sometimes ah don't understand you Dash," she sniggered. Rainbow held the hat in front of her face and avoided eye contact. She knew her cheeks were blazing red now, but laughed anyway.
An alarm went off suddenly. It was coming from Dash's phone.
"You know what that means?" Dash said smirking. AJ shook her head.
"It means...." Rainbow pointed to the antibiotic bottles on the table. Applejack rolled her eyes and took the medicine. She laughed knowing that Dash had actually set herself an alarm to make sure that AJ was following the prescription.
       It was getting very late, and so soon afterwards Dash got up to leave. Knowing that AJ wouldn't be in school tomorrow, or until at least two weeks, they said goodbye and arranged to call each other after school everyday.