chapter three

Chapter Three

I stood under the hot water until it ran cold, one hand bracing against the wall as all my muscles unlocked. My blonde hair, no matter how much cheap conditioner I put in it, was still knotted and messy, so I tugged my brush through it as I lay on my bed wrapped in a towel.

I was taking a full schedule of AP classes, which were already diving into their respective homework assignments for the year. As if the summer homework wasn't enough, there were more things due already. My books were open, a pen cap in my mouth while I attempted to ignore my friends incessantly texting me.

My mother came knocking an hour or so after I started working. She was holding a reheated turkey sandwich from the diner she worked at in one manicured hand. Her nails looked professionally painted, but anyone who knew her well enough could be sure that she did it all by herself to save money. She'd gotten good at it, too.

"Ooh!" I exclaimed, taking the food gratefully. "You got me cheese fries too?"

She smiled. "I figured you'd need it."

Her eyes were lined with years of dark circles and laugh lines. Her strawberry blonde hair was coming loose from its standard ponytail, but she had changed out of her uniform and donned more comfortable attire. Even though she was tired, I knew she liked being a waitress.

"The new coach is a piece of work," I told her, taking a bite of my sandwich.

It wasn't every day she brought me home food, so every time I got one, I expressed unyielding appreciation. There wasn't much of a discount for employees, so she never received much more than one eating out opportunity a month.

"Yeah?" She raised an eyebrow. "What's he like? Is he a cranky old dude?"

"In college, actually," I explained, cheeks stuffed with turkey. Sure, it wasn't super ladylike, but it was one good sandwich. "He's attractive, but he's acting like we enlisted for the military."

"Maybe it'll help the team?" she offered. My mother was the eternal optimist, even if it was annoying sometimes.

"Or maybe we'll all be dead before the season is out," I countered, popping a fry into my mouth. "He's so... ugh!"

"Ugh? There's a new adjective," Mom teased. "I'll make a note of that one. When your father is acting difficult, I'll tell him to stop being so ugh."

"You know what I mean!" I said, pushing at her shoulder. "Don't get smart with me."

"Would you rather me get stupid with you?"

"Mother, I have studying to do. Do me a favor and leave me to my cheese fries?"

She got up, raising her hands in mock surrender. "Okay, okay, your highness. You better enjoy the cheese fries."

As my mother left my room, it occurred to me just how lucky I'd gotten when it came to my family. We liked each other, which made living together more pleasant. My parents supported me and every single dream I had to offer. I wanted to give back to them however I could.

I ate my cheese fries in the comfortable silence of my bedroom and wondered what that team roster would look like, who I would be working with for the season, etc. It drew some of my focus away, but I was worked up about it and would be for a while.

Risa called not five minutes later, just when I was getting back to work.

"Hey," I said, half-asleep already. I swiped across the screen to put the phone on speaker.

"Hey, I'm at the school right now. Coach posted the roster before he left, but I can't bring myself to look by myself. Shea is gonna pick you up in a few."