chapter ten

Chapter Ten

I wasn't sure what to anticipate when I arrived at practice a couple of days later.

We spent half the practice sprinting, doing push-ups, and working ourselves into the ground. The other half was spent with more drills. He was deliberately making an effort not to glance in my direction. It was a typical practice, but I knew something was going on. That was all I was sure about.

"He's being difficult again," Gen observed as we were walking into the locker room. "What's the deal with him being so hot and cold all the time?"

Risa exchanged a knowing look with me. "No idea, it's probably nothing personal."

"Well, he needs to cut it out," Shea snapped, massaging one of her calves. "I'm pretty sure my legs are gonna give out."

I pulled my t-shirt up and over my head, sighing as I changed into different clothes. "I think we just need to be glad the season is almost over. On the bright side, we'll be getting college decisions in a few months."

"Any word back from Brown?" Gen questioned.

"No, but I'll probably get an email or something soon," I said. "It's the dream, but it isn't the most important thing in the world."

Risa feigned a shocked gasp, reaching one arm above her head to apply her deodorant. "Who are you? My Laura would never say such a thing, that's basically blasphemy."

"Or just a change of heart?" I offered, reaching for my backpack. "It's only a college. I'm just trying to prepare myself for the inevitable."

"They'd be stupid not to take you," Gen said, gathering her long hair into a ponytail. "I'm sure anyone with good sense can see that, Laura."

I felt a little unsure despite the insistence of my friends. "It means a lot to hear that."

Our standard side-hugs were exchanged as Gen and Shea departed from the locker room. As Risa was reaching for her duffel bag, she paused and turned to me. "Hey, do you need a ride?"

"No, I'm good," I replied. "I think I'm gonna talk to Jar—Coach."

She seemed wary. "Okay? You've been acting weird all day and now you're off to have a mysterious conversation. What's going on with you?"

I thought about it for a second. I didn't feel like I'd been acting weird. If anything, I felt mostly normal. I'd gotten dressed, finished all my homework in study hall, checked my email a million times, and that was that. I tried to pretend that the kiss wasn't replaying itself over and over in my mind, but pretending was never really my strong suit.

It was like I was wearing what happened between us like a giant label on my forehead. Every whisper I heard made me tense up until I realized it wasn't about me. Breathing proved to be a chore as I reminded myself to calm down. My business was still mine, at least for the time being.

"I wasn't acting weird," I said, my throat closing a bit.

"I've been your best friend forever," she pointed out. "I know a thing or two about you and I know when you're different. So are you going to tell me what happened after the bar? The last thing I remember is Coach Harper showing up and giving us a ride home. You can imagine how awkward it was asking my dads to pick up my car."

"Are you grounded?"

"Nah. Since I parked next to the restaurant, they assumed that's where we had gone. I told them I lost my keys and Shea gave us a ride home. I'll never feel good about lying to them, but telling them I have a fake ID and go bar hopping from time to time could never go well."