chapter fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Standing in front of the bathroom mirror in my jersey, I let Risa pull my blonde hair into a french braid starting at the top of my head and tried not to wince with each forceful yank.

"Ow!" I yelped.

"Laura, if you don't stand still, I won't be able to finish this stupid thing." She pursed her lips and tugged another strand, almost halfway done.

"It's hard to stand still when you're scalping me," I protested, catching a glimpse of our reflections. She was narrowing her dark eyes in concentration, reaching for a hairband to tie it off when she reached the bottom of my braid.

"Thank you, R," I said as I patted the back of my head.

It felt pretty neat, definitely better than anything I might've attempted. It hurt, but it was worth it. Braiding was definitely one of Risa's many talents, but despite her best efforts, she was unable to teach me. We gave up when we were thirteen. I remembered her tossing the brush and scrunchie defeatedly onto the counter and promising to do my hair from then on out. So far, the promise remained kept.

Shea and Gen were already downstairs grabbing coffee before we had to leave, so it was just us in the room as I packed what I needed and pulled Jared's sweatshirt over my uniform.

Risa was holding her jersey, presumably to put it on in the parking lot outside the stadium like she always did. Her little routine carried over to Championships, but the coach the last couple years didn't question it.

"You're different," she observed as she finished packing her things.

I was ready to leave, standing by the door with my hands stuffed in the sleeves of his sweater. As soon as she said it, I looked at myself in the mirror by the door, wondering what she meant by that. I thought I looked the same, a little flushed from the hair debacle albeit, but the same nonetheless. Perplexed, I gave her a confused look.

"You've been extra happy all morning," she pointed out. "And you've been smiling since you got up. You also didn't come back until late last night. So what happened?"

She was my best friend and we told each other basically everything, but it was still hard for me to even comprehend it entirely myself. The memories were enough to make me blush, but I didn't regret any of it.

"Well?" she pressed.

He gave me the best orgasm of my life. No biggie.

"We didn't go all the way," I said. "But that's all I'm telling you, R."

She clicked her tongue as though disappointed. "I can respect that. But I have to ask, do you want to?"

"Do I want to... what?" I inquired stupidly.

"Do you want to go all the way?" she clarified.

I choked on my own breath. "Huh?"

Risa cackled at my reaction. "Don't die on me, Lau. I know you guys did something yesterday. I get that the Mitch thing was a disaster, so I know you're not rushing into anything. But if you don't mind my asking, I want to know."

"I honestly can't tell you," I answered. "He's not pushing me on it, which is so sweet. I can't tell you how many times Mitch asked before I finally caved. It's different with him. In a good way, I mean. I get to move at my own pace, he never asks for more than I'm okay with."

Risa covered her mouth and squealed. "Oh gosh, this is too cute. There aren't words for how adorable you two are together."

"What about you and Chris?"